New England Area For members in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

'bird failed inspection... WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 AM

'bird failed inspection... WARNING

Welp, the 'bird just failed inspection and it failed for no other reason than having an after market exhaust. I have the Borla (installed 1997) and had put the full plate in for the inspection, so it was running quieter than most dodge trucks that you see on the road, not to mention Harleys. But as the tech said, it failed not because of noise, but specifically because it was after market. He also said that they were told to fail all vehicles that still have the "green" MA plates. I have gone to this inspection place for the past 10 years. Fortunately, he did not run my vin/reg thru the computer and refunded my money. So, now I have to spend tomorrow trying to figure out my next steps... Just a heads up to anyone else w/ an after market exhaust in MA.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:39 PM

I say go somewhere else, as long as you have cats there shouldnt be a problem with the exhaust. The plate the only reason it would be a problem is if the paint is in bad shape, my family still has 1 truck with the green plate on it. I will check with my dad about the plate when he gets back to see if hes heard anything. He probally got busted for something recently and dosent want to take any chances.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:07 PM

That sucks...

I have the same catback plus the headers but they didn't say a word. I quess i got lucky this time.

Good luck
Old 08-23-2009, 05:07 PM

I had a tech who wasn't even the one doing my inspection tell me the borla's are illegal in MA because of the built in cut-out one year. I still got the sticker but I always make the drive to a much more relaxed shop now and they don't care whats done as long as theres no codes and its not a safety issue.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by zzoomin
I had a tech who wasn't even the one doing my inspection tell me the borla's are illegal in MA because of the built in cut-out one year.
From what he said, it was never a Borla issue, just that it was an after market exhaust, clear and simple. What if I had an exhaust shop cut off the tips and put the originals on the Borla? Or what if I wanted the Borla look and ordered just the tips (aftermarket) and had them cut welded on the original? would they think that the exhaust was aftermarket then? Sucks that this may happen from this point forward. Can't believe that he couldn't look the other way, who knows, I could have installed it the next day :wink:. I had gone there for 10+ years w/o issue. I hate being in this position. How could the State changes the rules like that? I would think they could stop future installs, but I would think I (as well as others currently)should be grandfathered(?). I checked CMR http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr400.pdf bottom pg 7 and it doesn't say you can't have an aftermarket exhaust, but implies that it can't be louder than OEM. Could it be waivable? Well, tomorrow my hunt for a shop will begin...
Old 08-24-2009, 02:08 AM

My dad whos a police officer said the green plates are still fine as long as they are in good condition. He also said he has some friends that do stickers and the state is watching them alot more now.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM

not sure how your state runs the inspections but i believe u got screwed. You cannot fail for an aftemarket catback. Thats BS
Old 08-25-2009, 06:54 AM

I believe that is true, that almost anything from the cat back is legal, at least federally, but that you can't be louder than stock-

OTOH, if the state is watching shops closely, you can't blame the owner for not wanting to deal with what could become a problem for him- at least he gave you your money back- go find a shop that is familiar with the law-
Old 08-26-2009, 04:01 PM
WTF

Good to know, my Jeep has a 3inch catback mated to a Flowmaster.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 AM

Call Lou's Custom exhaust for info..if anyone would know they would..and just using them as they have like 1000 shops (give or take a few) in New England and you could call one up and ask.

I knew the laws for the bikes changed didnt think the laws for cars did too?

Last edited by Caps94ZODG; 08-29-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 PM

That's why it is smart to keep your stock exhaust on hand and swap it out before inspection then reinstall. i have done that in the past. yes i know it is a pain in the a$$ but you got to do what you got to do.

Chris
Old 07-15-2010, 11:26 PM

WOW thread from the dead..

But from what I was told when I had some exhaust work done. Anything after the cat you can do whatever you want to do to it. The thing is this "rule" was passed for loudness not a complete exhaust working system. If you came in with one of those loud fart cans..you got a fail. I have not seen any of the autozone "performance mufflers" with a 50 state elgal certificate. But if you have a 50 state compliant aftermarket exhaust installed by a muffler shop your ok.

I bet that the guy just heard aftermarket= fail..not knowing the rules.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 AM

old thread but figured I'd post again any ways! if anyone in south east MA is having a hard time getting a sticker let me know, I know of a really lax shop that always passes me no problem(as long as its not a safety issue).

Last edited by zzoomin; 09-05-2010 at 11:44 AM.