N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

What piston

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:43 PM

What piston

Im working on building a 383 nitrous motor with a 300 shot, I have been looking at je pistons but there is so many of them to choose, from, I want about a 12:1, the stock heads will be port n polished. Any suggestions on which je piston to choose? Do you guys think I should go aftermarket heads? Suggestions for that would be fine also.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:42 PM

Presuming your motor has the following specs:

4.030" bore
3.750" stroke

in order to arrive at 383ci, there is only one JE nitrous piston to choose from in the catalog I'm looking at. JE Part # 232509

If you use the above bore and stroke, the above mentioned JE piston, which has a 3cc dome, a .020" deck height, a Felpro 1087 head gasket which is .039" (compressed height) and a stock LT-1 cylinder head (54cc), this will give you a compression ratio of 12.3 to 1.

You will have to cc your cylinder heads to measure their actual volume as a lot of people found their heads to actually be closer to 58cc which would drop your compression to 11.7 to 1. This is presuming the deck height is .020" which is somewhat standard. This can be lowered to zero if need be and woulsd obviously raise the compression accordingly. Additionally, you can choose a thicker or thinner head gasket to raise or lower the compression as well. Note:The piston mentioned above requires a 6.00" rod. Hope this helps some.

Last edited by Boosted_Z28; 01-13-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_Z28
Presuming your motor has the following specs:

4.030" bore
3.750" stroke

in order to arrive at 383ci, there is only one JE nitrous piston to choose from in the catalog I'm looking at. JE Part # 232509

If you use the above bore and stroke, the above mentioned JE piston, which has a 3cc dome, a .020" deck height, a Felpro 1087 head gasket which is .039" (compressed height) and a stock LT-1 cylinder head (54cc), this will give you a compression ratio of 12.3 to 1. You will have to cc your cylinder heads to measure their actual volume as a lot of people found their heads to actually be closer to 58cc which would drop your compression to 11.7 to 1. This is presuming the deck height is .020" which is somewhat standard. This can be lowered to zero if need be and woulsd obviously raise the compression accordingly. Additionally, you can choose a thicker or thinner head gasket to raise or lower the compression as well. Note:The piston mentioned above requires a 6.00" rod. Hope this helps some.
Thank you that information was great, I am useing 4.030, and 3.750 stroke. Do you know if JE makes a piston for the 5.7 rod? I was hopeing to use the 5.7 rod. However from what iv just read that is the only piston JE makes for the 383? Thanks for that part number im looking at that piston now. It seems on summitracing there is multiple pistons for a 383 with them specifications and a 5.7 rod? If there site wrong? http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294774855

Last edited by bombebomb; 01-13-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:25 PM

Every 383 stroker piston can use a 5.7 rod. When u start going with a bigger stroke then 6.0 rods come into play. U will be fine as long as the piston is a stroker piston and JE is definately a great brand along with Ross for nitrous combinations, and I would go with a flat top from either one. For heads its your choice if u want to go with aluminum or iron depending on how much you are trying to spend. For aluminum I would go with 215-220cc dart pro1's or victor jr.'s. For iron heads i would go with Dart's 220-230cc platinum iron eagle heads.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by rallysport92
Every 383 stroker piston can use a 5.7 rod. When u start going with a bigger stroke then 6.0 rods come into play. U will be fine as long as the piston is a stroker piston and JE is definately a great brand along with Ross for nitrous combinations, and I would go with a flat top from either one. For heads its your choice if u want to go with aluminum or iron depending on how much you are trying to spend. For aluminum I would go with 215-220cc dart pro1's or victor jr.'s. For iron heads i would go with Dart's 220-230cc platinum iron eagle heads.
So is the 5.7 rod better to use with a 383 nitrous or a 6 inch, from everything iv read I want to be useing a 5.7 rod, with a nitrous piston.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:41 PM

Its really your choice I would use some nice 5.7 rods
Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM

You stated in your original post that you were building a 383, porting & polishing the stock heads and using a 300 HP nitrous kit...With this in mind, if you want to use a quality piston, like a JE that you mentioned. Unless yuo custom order a set from JE, there is only one choice from this company. JE only makes one "nirtous" piston and it requires a 6.00" rod. You may find other piston manufacturers that make more of a selection, but you'd better make sure you choose a true "nitrous" specific piston because if you trhow a 300 shot of spray towards any piston of lesser quality, you'll probably only be given the opportunity to do that once. After that, you will need some help from friends to pick up all the parts of the motor that have been scattered along the pavement.

There has been some debate over the advantages/disadvantages of a 5.7" rod vs a 6.00" rod, but no one has been able to prove there is any noticable gains of one over the other, at least when it comes to applications like this.

Although there are some great aftermarket heads for LT-1 motors, the performance gains from having the stock castings ported have proven to be substantial, especially in a nitrous application. In most cases they will cost you less as well.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 PM

You stated in your original post that you were building a 383, porting & polishing the stock heads and using a 300 HP nitrous kit...With this in mind, if you want to use a quality piston, like a JE that you mentioned. Unless yuo custom order a set from JE, there is only one choice from this company. JE only makes one "nirtous" piston and it requires a 6.00" rod. You may find other piston manufacturers that make more of a selection, but you'd better make sure you choose a true "nitrous" specific piston because if you trhow a 300 shot of spray towards any piston of lesser quality, you'll probably only be given the opportunity to do that once. After that, you will need some help from friends to pick up all the parts of the motor that have been scattered along the pavement.

There has been some debate over the advantages/disadvantages of a 5.7" rod vs a 6.00" rod, but no one has been able to prove there is any noticable gains of one over the other, at least when it comes to applications like this.

Although there are some great aftermarket heads for LT-1 motors, the performance gains from having the stock castings ported have proven to be substantial, especially in a nitrous application. In most cases they will cost you less as well.
Thank you for clearing things up I was wanting a 5.7 rod because from alot of posts iv read, and one pm from injuneer recommended a 5.85 rod or shorter.
A 3.75" crank for a 381-385 works better with no more than a 5.85" rod when running large shots of juice.
Im kind of getting mixed anwsers I guess. I may ask my engine builder, but from what im seeing JE only makes one type of "true nitrous piston" and it requires a 6inch rod, so I may just be going 6 inch and be done with it. Ok, so this is my only option then for a JE Nitrous piston.

Last edited by bombebomb; 01-13-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:45 PM

There are other piston manufacturers that make a good nitrous piston as well...maybe with a broader selection. A "custom" piston is wotrh looking into if needed. I'm sure someone else here can give some ideas as well.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:49 PM

Your engine builder or some of the Engine sponsors would be able to help with this question.

I am running a custom Ross piston w/6.0 rods in my 396
Old 01-14-2008, 12:12 AM

There are other piston manufacturers that make a good nitrous piston as well...maybe with a broader selection. A "custom" piston is wotrh looking into if needed. I'm sure someone else here can give some ideas as well.
Yea I was thinking of getting a custom piston, you would think they would have an on shelf 5.7, guess not though.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 AM

Diamond Racing Products...

They have a full line of nitrous friendly shelf stock pistons, and can custom make something to fit your application too.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eric@Victory Racing
Diamond Racing Products...

They have a full line of nitrous friendly shelf stock pistons, and can custom make something to fit your application too.
Thanks, but I think I am going to try to stay with JE, however I will be buying my compstar rods from you
Old 01-15-2008, 11:26 PM

Ok, so with this http://store.summitracing.com/partde...8&autoview=sku piston, I should be good to go then right? with about a 12:1 compression, double checking before I put these on the list to buy.
EDIT: These look to be the same for $20 cheaper are they? http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_696591_-1

Last edited by bombebomb; 01-15-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 AM

JE's catalog is on-line.

Rich

Quick Reply: What piston