N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Stock LT1 goes 10.89

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 AM

maf sprayer? What do you exactly mean? Spraying before the MAF? Into it? Little confused here.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by slomarao
maf sprayer? What do you exactly mean? Spraying before the MAF? Into it? Little confused here.
the nozzle is between the air filter and maf, I have an old nos nozzle behind the big elbow , behind the abs, really hard to see from the top
got the line hidden with that black stuff? spiral wrap?

you cant see any wires either

#30 jet may be 60 hp
never had a problem,hit is smooth.

andy where did you come up with the 50 to 80 numbers?
that makes me rest easy
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 AM

So both of you guys spray before the maf and it adds the extra fuel? I know how a dry kit works but always thought Ls1's were the only f bodies that run dry kits because they do a much better job of realizing that n2o is being sprayed into the air coming into the engine.

I know that the only two LT1 dry kits dont use the maf to add the fuel. (nos jacks up the FP and zex has that computer unit)

Do you guys use any little tricks or is it just stright up. Nozzle into the area between the filter and Maf, and hit it?

This is the way i want to setup up my car but im worried about the relying on the maf for extra fuel. Just rebuilt the top end of the motor, dont want to do the bottom any time soon.

So are you guys skating on thin ice or can the maf handle adding the extra fuel?

Last edited by slomarao; 08-13-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by andy katzelis

slomaro As a side note the stock LT1 fuel curve is rich enough to dry spray 50-80 hp.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME I dont care about my motor

when I purchased the nos- tb kit it came with an extra nozzle that was supposed to be installed after the maf, as soon as I saw it my head started to spin. I dug out an old powershot kit and hooked the solenoid to the nozzle,routed the old line and hid a switch behind the cigarette lighter.tank in the t-top well under a false panel.
its hidden very well

as for fuel ,I have the nos fuel pump in line

my big kit has only hit "good" once, and not at the track,

may be old injectors or over taxed???, I'm going wet after I get a trans.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541579
Injuneer
Super Moderator

If you are spraying through the MAF, you aren't "spray(ing) with no fuel"..... the PCM will add some extra fuel, because the MAF sensor can pick up the mass of the nitrous. Question is, will this add the correct amount of fuel. Sort of a trial-and-error thing.

The LS1 dry systems spray through the MAF, and don't change the fuel pressure. But the LS1 PCM is supposedly a faster processor than the LT1 PCM.

Last edited by slowride94z; 08-13-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 AM

Ya thats what im worried about. I want to spray a dry kit the standard way, IE- before the maf and having it add the extra fuel. But i dont want to depend on it in the event that things run lean, or way too lean.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:31 PM

andy where did you come up with the 50 to 80 numbers?
that makes me rest easy
Early on prior to any ECM changes with LT1 edit I simply kept adding nitrous until the o2s read .900 or so. I started at 30 hp and moved up to 80 hp. Likely every car out there is so overly rich from the factory it can handle a 50-80 hp shot.

So are you guys skating on thin ice or can the maf handle adding the extra fuel?
I'm do not believe the MAF informs the pcm to add fuel. I believe the 50-80 hp allowance is based on the fact that the factory sets the PE curve excessively rich. I'm just taking advantage of the situation. The MAF signal might influence the WOT open loop just prior to entering WOT open loop, but once in open loop its all just factory way overly rich (the MAF is not going to adjust to a 30 shot or a 50 shot). Again, it may influence the PE setting due to the fact that it senses a particular "condition" just prior to entering WOT open loop.

One of the very first things I do to every car I program is reduce the PE fuel, lean out WOT. They are all way to rich.

The other side of the coin is if you are running premium fuel and have not disabled the stock knock sensor, you'd be surprised at what you can "do" to the motor without damage. But that's an entire other conversation in itself.

Check out Injuneer's "scanner readings" what do they mean writeup. I believe he talks about the pcm's operating philosophy and the rich stock PE fuel curve.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:15 AM

so you were never spraying and having the maf add the fuel? Like with a typical dry kit?
Old 08-15-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by slomarao
so you were never spraying and having the maf add the fuel? Like with a typical dry kit?
Injuneer
Super Moderator
If you are spraying through the MAF, you aren't "spray(ing) with no fuel"..... the PCM will add some extra fuel, because the MAF sensor can pick up the mass of the nitrous. Question is, will this add the correct amount of fuel. Sort of a trial-and-error thing.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541579
Old 08-15-2008, 05:17 PM

yes i understand that, I know how a dry kit works. I am wondering if anyone uses a kit in the normal way? Where the maf would add the fuel? I am not confused or anything just want a yes or no answer. Yes i spray and use the maf to add fuel, or no i dont, i have a wet kit.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:45 PM

1 yes I spray and use the maf to add fuel 60 hp

2 no I dont use the maf to add fuel on my 150 hp dry kit. it uses nitrous pressure on the fpr to add extra fuel, through the injectors, this is how NOS does it

3 I will be converting to wet, more options for levels of power, easier on injectors, and when you hit it you know the fuel is there
Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by andy katzelis

I follow NOS jetting for the most part who rates their kits in crank hp, I do believe. A 150 shot is a .063" jet. For the 180hp kit I add a second solenoid with a .030" jet. To find that hp level you'll have to use one of the many nitrous jet calculators out of the web (beats me if it's crank or rear wheel).
I went to 3 nitrous calculators,
http://www.robietherobot.com/nitrousjetcalculator.htm

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...ousjetcalc.asp

http://www.mashamoto.co.uk/display_page.php?i=3

best I could tell the #30 jet, I was running, is 30 hp as Andy stated, not the 60hp I thought
I was wrong I'm sorry I can't remember where I got that Info
Andy is a lot braver than I, not to mention faster
Old 08-15-2008, 11:46 PM

thanx.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:54 AM

Andy What injectors are you using? My car want to be just like your when it grows up
Old 08-21-2008, 07:30 PM

Gentlemen, I brushed up on Injuneer's website. It looks like once the pcm goes into open loop the O2s are ignored and fuel is sprayed according to the power enrichment curve. There's no mention of MAF influence prior to entering WOT open loop.

slomarao-like you said most dry kits usually boost the fuel pressure, or a second pump is turned on, or etc. to increase the fuel delivery rate. Don't count on an overly rich power enrichment curve to have enough fuel to spray a bigger kit.

pyro719 -I'm using 30# Accel injectors to feed "Barney."