N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Please tell me why I can't run stock plugs with N2O??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:11 PM

Please tell me why I can't run stock plugs with N2O??

Why do I need to change to TR6's?? I hit the N2O a couple times with the stock A/C Delco Platinum plugs with a .050 gap. Now I have changed to the NGK TR6's with a .038 gap cause thats what everybody said I needed to do. They say its bad to hit it with the platinums but I wasn't getting detonation or anything. I was just getting a huge shot with a super noticable difference in power. Now the power change is minimal considering what it was hittin like.

I have a NX wet shot system with 150 HP shot going through the system plus a MSD 6 BTM. It just seemed to hit ALOT harder with the Platinum Plugs in rather then the TR6's.

Anyone have any insight on this subject rather then "thats just the way it is"??

Please help,

Thanks.
T
Old 03-23-2004, 12:06 AM

Its just to "PREVENT" detonation. Just taking a precautionary measure of safety. Running a colder plug, (the NGK TR6) is a cheap easy precaution to using nitrous. I know a few people who squeze nitro and are using bosch platinums. If you think you are feeling more power with platinums then use em. If you are maintaining a safe, rich, status then use em. I wasnt, i need the tr6's
Old 03-23-2004, 12:06 AM

The hotter the plug the more heat in the combustion chamber and the larger the chance for detonation. Detonation is also often unnoticeable meaning it could be occuring without you hearing it ,if this were to happen on a stock piston with spray you could potentially melt that piston. Its a safty precaution that I feel is worth the investment.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:25 AM

also,cylinder pressure gets hot enough with nitrous to melt the platinum off the stock plugs and widening the gaps. you could slaso blow the platinum "puck" off the electrode and it potentially could damage a valve seat cylinder wall.

sounds like you might have another problem if it doesnt "feel" as good (any track times,or is this SOTP?).
Old 03-23-2004, 11:36 AM

Track times will come this weekend. Right now is SOTP. The first time I hit it with the platinums on a fairly warm day I didn't have my N2O pressure or my Air/fuel guage in. When I hit it on that first day it broke loose as soon as I shot, then broke for the 1-2 shift and up to 99 in no time. Now I am lucky if it breaks when I start to shoot. I still get a 1-2 break but I get that N/A so thats no big deal.

Now that I got both the N2O pressure and Air/Fuel I think I am going t try to put the A/C's back in and see where that puts the Air/Fuel. I just wish there was a surefire way of making sure I am not getting any detonation. I don't think the Air/Fuel will aid in this discovery. The only thing I know is with those two guages and the bottle heater and can monitor all of what is going on with the system to the best of my ability.

Thanks for the assistance,

T
Old 03-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Check out the Joe Pettitt "nitrous" book... he shows exactly why the stock LT1 sparkplug is the absolute worst possible choice for a nitrous appication. The extended nose, the heavy ground strap, and the elevated heat range are enough to turn it into a glow plug. If you are lucky, all you will do is burn the ground straps off the plugs - guess how I know that?

When I first bought my NOS 5176 kit back in late 1994 or early 1995, not even NOS knew the plugs were that bad. I think I got one of the first kits they sold. They were recommending that the stock plugs be regapped to 0.035" with the stock ignition, or leave them at 0.050" and install an MSD-6 box. I tried the 0.050" gap and the plugs ended up with the electrodes burnt off 1/2 of them.

Joe Pettitt "Nitrous Oxide"