Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Window Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Window Tint?

Who's in MI can do my window tint?

A buddy of mine says what he does, he goes to a place that does tint (ziebart or something), finds the guy that does it, asks him if he wants to make $100 and has him do it outside of work.

I don't mind $100, but they want almost $200 to do my camaro.

They say it's cause of the hatch. Also, he asked if I had rear defrost, and I said of course, and he said, "Oh, that's more."

Like, what camaro doesn't have rear defrost?

Who is around Dearborn/DET that can do it? I'll drive to you and even lend you a hand. I've done it before and it didn't come out 100% flawless, but it was OK. The only thing is, to buy enough tint at the store is gonna cost me like $70 bucks, and that's not guaranteed the rear will be seamless.

Anybody??
Old 09-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

I once had very good luck with a company in the Troy area with my first Camaro but when I took my second Camaro there, I got screwed pretty hard. I won't get into it because very few people had had problems like mine there, but I won't take any of my cars back there at any price.

I had the guy from Fade To Black in Wixom fix the problem and he did a good job and seemed like a real straight up guy. I don't know if he sold the business to someone else, though. His name was Jason.

I took two daily drivers to get just the side windows done at Shaders on Gratiot and both times they turned out perfect. This was just for two side windows, which is pretty hard to screw up unlike a rear 4th gen hatch. On the other hand, some have had problems with them from what I remember.

Seems to me that it is a big crap shoot. I think that how the company handles a screw up is important, and is the question that I ask before I commit to having them do the job.

I am sure someone else can suggest a good shop as well.

So uh...good luck!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:26 PM

The sides are really easy to tint well. Nothing to it at all and they look perfect. The back, on the other hand, you will want to pay to have it done professionally. That's my opinion and experience.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:33 PM

well i was thinking about buying the one piece tint from ebay, pulling the hatch and trying it myself.

With the hatch off I don't think it'd be too difficult. Yeah the sides were really easy. I might just buy it all from ebay.

So ziebart tells me they'll do it but they can only guarantee it for a year because the rear window is such a PITA. And they want $160. I'd rather not pay that much if they don't have enough faith in their work to warrant it for at least 3 years.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:36 PM

dude, $160 is pretty cheap for all that. I dont think your gonnna find anyone to do it for $100 like your hoping. my friend matt did an excellent job on my dads TA. the shop he works for is in keego harbor at orchard lake and something, just west of telegraph.

and, lots of Fbody's dont have rear window tint down south. we learned that when we ordered dads TA and had to add the option since none of the cars down in arizona had it.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
dude, $160 is pretty cheap for all that. I dont think your gonnna find anyone to do it for $100 like your hoping. my friend matt did an excellent job on my dads TA. the shop he works for is in keego harbor at orchard lake and something, just west of telegraph.

and, lots of Fbody's dont have rear window tint down south. we learned that when we ordered dads TA and had to add the option since none of the cars down in arizona had it.
I mean the guy doing the tint makes like 10/hour or whatever, so he isn't making a fortune for the job, the place he works for is. So I mean, if I paid the kid 100 to do it he's bankin'.

I'll probably just do it myself.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:21 PM

+2 for Fade to Black in Wixom
Old 09-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by maybe2fast
+2 for Fade to Black in Wixom
Does Jason still own that biz?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 AM

try AutoAmeristar on Dix in Lincoln Park. They did my whole car for $150, and they dont charge extra for defrost. I"ve had 5 diff. cars done there and the quality has always been excellent.