Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Do you think I hurt my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 PM

Question Do you think I hurt my engine?

I have a 95 Z28 LT1 the car has always ran very well but the fan never seemed to work right. I didn't have the money to get the fan fixed so I drove it for a while with no fan. The car ran cool but one day I got caught in traffic when it was hot outside and blew a hose. I was a little ways from home and was not able to call for help so I drove it home with no coolant at all. I did my best to shut the engine off when the temperature gage got into the red, however there were a several times where it was in the red while I was driving. When I finally made it home it seemed to be ok...no knocking or white smoke and starts right up. Do you think I did any damage or do you think it is ok?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 AM

Re: Do you think I hurt my engine?

Fill lit up with coolant and see how it runs, that's the only way to know for sure...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 AM

I suggest to quit dodging the real problem and get the fan fixed ASAP. You're driving a ticking time bomb. A new engine is 100x more expensive then getting your fan fixed. There's a lot of information on this forum, you should have no trouble finding a fix.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM

+1 on the fill it up with coolant and make sure you allow the system to burp all the air out of it. Then see what you get. hopefully its fine.

best case, its all good. or it might have a seeping headgasket or very slightly warped head, and may use a little coolant (for now) and still run ok. to worst case, it blows a head gasket or has already cracked the head/block, etc.

BUT, if the temp guage went into the red with NO coolant in the motor, chances are not the best. it probably got much hotter than indicated with just air in the system.

ALSO, keep an eye on the coolant AND oil very closely for the short term; if it seems to be ok. You dont want a minor headgasket issue to contaminate the oil and cause bottom end failure.