Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Big Blocks in area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 10:40 PM

Question Big Blocks in area?

Alright,
ive just about had it with my 305. There really isnt much wrong with it except that well.. i think its weak. I know its a good running enigne and very reliable. It only have 75,000 miles on it and its a 92. But I have seriously been considering dropping a big block into the camaro. So i guess i would just be asking what are some of the pros and cons of doing this operation??? I, myself dont really know an extream amount about engines and drivtrain ( im only 17 ) but my fathers knows a ton. i try and learn from him and i read Chevy High Preformance religiously. heh. I know there will have to put in a whole new rear end... and re-enforce the frame structure, but what are some of the more painstaking steps i will have to take. I was looking into a 454 to a big ol 540. Do yall think the 540 would be to much. it would be for street / strip...still driven on a daily basis...
Also anyone know any places ( I live in Farmington Hills )that i could go to to check out some options? Anywhere in South Eastern , MI?? Thanks for any information that will help me become a 3rd gen with enough horses to scare even those damn supercharged Ford Lightnings.. grr..

Mitch

------------------
~ White 92 Camaro Rs 305
~ just added Flowmasters and a K&N Filtercharger ~
If only i had some tint...
Old 07-24-2002, 11:23 PM

Arrow

If you drive your car any distance everyday or in the winter, then get away from the BBC. Gas will kill you, or snow if you so choose.

Not saying I'm not a big block fan. Buy a high performance big block is not very suitable as a daily ride in these $1.50/gallon gas price days.

Just my $.02

------------------
-Joe
79' Z28 4-spd
http://joesmith59.freeservers.com/
*Boycott Lapeer*
Old 07-25-2002, 02:27 AM

My friend just got his Hooker Super Comp big block headers today for his 91 camaro. Cha-Ching!! 600 bucks down the drain, but they look awesome!! His car is still at the fab shop getting done, but it looks like more hassle than it's worth to big block a 3rd gen, i'd personnally would stick with a small block for a daily driver. plus small block parts are alot cheaper as well. also if you keep it a small block you probably can still use your fuel injection. just my opinion thou.

------------------
1995 Black Z28 Camaro
Mods Hypertech 160 Powerstat, Carbon Metallic Pads up front and Z-rated Carbon Metallic Pads in the rear. 1St Gear Mod, Loudmouth Cat-Back, No Cat...hehehe, Hypertech Power Programmed, Homemade CAI , Big Tranny Cooler, And dads old tires.Freshly Repainted Front End(Now with Chips), Hidden Shift Kit, 3:42 gears.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:22 AM

if you do that, like Im planning on in the next year or so, you will need to get a hoodscoop for sure. def. wont fit under the hood. and you wont have a windshield wiper motor cause it hits the valvecover. you'll need certain valve covers to keep from hitting the power brake booster too.
If you go all out, than it wont be something you'd want to drive on a daily basis. but, my 402 got around 10-11 mpg consistently and had tons of torque. in the end, the big block will cost you alot more. Id think about getting a beater for a daily ride, esp. for the winter. you can search on the subject in the third gen section or even thirdgen.org . theres lots of guys that have big blocks in there cars. good luck
chris
Old 07-25-2002, 06:57 AM

Sounds like a lot of work....

Build a strong and stout small block and put a 250 shot of Nitrous on it..
Old 07-25-2002, 06:26 PM

Question

yeah, i can hear where a lot of you are coming from. So then you would sugest somethign smaller like a 383. i am kinda against modding out the 305, just because ill have this car for a while and eventually im going to go all out. i know you can do a lot with a 350 and up, and yes i know a 305 isnt anythign to sneeze at, but i would like a little more upmh under the hood. any sugestions for a eninge build 350 and up that i could still keep as a daily driver?

------------------
~ White 92 Camaro Rs 305
~ just added Flowmasters and a K&N Filtercharger ~
If only i had some tint...
Old 07-25-2002, 10:05 PM

Id go with a 377. its a 400 block w/a 350 crank I believe. with the short stroke (relatively speaking) it should last forever and rev very high for a big inch small block. matched w/a set of afr 220 heads and a big roller cam would make tons of big block style power. but its not going to be cheap.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:16 AM

I am with IrocSS85 here. Either do a 383 buildup or find a 400 block and make it a 377. There are a few guys running big blocks in 3rd gens but they are doing it because #1 They have the money. #2 They have the time to put in the effort. #3 They just want to be different.

In a 3rd gen, the weight savings of keeping the SBC are a bonus. Imagine adding a few extra hundred pounds to the front end of your car.... You'd have to make proportianately more hp. Now imagine making the same hp out of a SBC and having those extra couple hundred pounds missing.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:47 PM

Talking

ok
well thanks a lot everyone. Now that ive thought about it a bit, i think that the SBC would be a much better decision. Ill keep yal updated in the future to see how the project goes.
Mitch