Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Best place to get my 99 tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 11:59 PM

Best place to get my 99 tuned?

Hey guys, doing a cam and headers in february, I need to know the best place I can take it to get it tuned? I don't know if I want a full out dyno tune, but I definitely do want to change a few things, remove a few SES lights, etc. Any recommendations?
Old 01-25-2004, 12:54 AM

well, APE or livernois perf. should be a good start. not sure of there prices, but they do great work.

if your looking for someone to install the heads/cam/headers, email me. I'll do it for $550 for ya. but I got a couple jobs lined up already before spring, but Im sure we can squeeze ya in.

and, IMO, if you can swing the extra dough, get the dyno tune. not only will they be able to get it right on, but you'll know exactly where the power is and howmuch there is.

what heads/cam package you getting? anyway you go it should be a screamer after that.

chris
Old 01-25-2004, 07:17 AM

Are you installing a heads & cam, or just cam & headers? You might not need any tune with just a cam change. Do you have an SES light now? Or anticipating one? If it's from having no cats, then you are better off getting simulators & saving your $$ for an all out tune down the road.

I've done a few cam only changes that didn't need any tuning to run right. There are some tricks you can use to get the idle up a little, and a MAFT works great for getting the AF close.

No shop is going to give you just a "little tune", but would be happy to charge you to delete some SES lights. I recomend that if you can afford it, get a full tune, as you can dial in the combo & also get the SES lights gone for good. You are looking at $350-$500 for all of it.

Might want to use the opportunity to upgrade the injectors, as your tuner can easily adjust the computer for that, & depending on the cam, you just might need it. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:53 AM

Re: Best place to get my 99 tuned?

Originally posted by Mike94ZLT1
Hey guys, doing a cam and headers in february, I need to know the best place I can take it to get it tuned? I don't know if I want a full out dyno tune, but I definitely do want to change a few things, remove a few SES lights, etc. Any recommendations?

oh, my bad. for some reason I thought it said heads and cam. ohwell. which c am are you geting? I put in a LS1 hotcam in a six speed car and it didnt need any tuning. Im not sure how much it picked up, cause I also put a supercharger on that car not too long after that. but the owner did say he could feel a much stronger pull in the mid-upper rpms. dont forget about the coil springs.
I can do a cam/header/springs install for $300 on an LS1 car. they are alot easier then the LT1 cars.
chris
Old 01-25-2004, 09:33 AM

I'm going with the Hotcam kit, I am also going to get some hardened pushrods, probably from combo motorsports, and I think I am also going to change the timing chain and oil pump, unless its not necessary.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:31 AM

hey IROCSS85 where are you in dearborn heights? i might want to look you up, if you are interested in putting my long tubes in the spring on my 95 and possibly some other work also,how much to throw them on for me? The longtubes will either be hooker or jethot
Old 01-25-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by jshigman
hey IROCSS85 where are you in dearborn heights? i might want to look you up, if you are interested in putting my long tubes in the spring on my 95 and possibly some other work also,how much to throw them on for me? The longtubes will either be hooker or jethot
Good choice either way on the headers. I like my Jet-Hots and did them myself. Not as bad as what some people make it out to be.

Chris can tell you where he lives, I dont want to deprive him of that honor.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:41 PM

well, Id love to do the longtubes for ya. I know some people have had some minor fitment problems w/the ypipe's on the jethots, but if I were to buy longtubes Id get the jethots anyways. I'll get back to ya on the longtubes install price. I want to make it cheap for you, but enough just to pay for my time to install. I live on beech daly between ford and warren. cant miss my house now w/the cop car and red Iroc in the driveway.

mike, how many mi.s on your eng? might not be nec. to do the oil pump if its not alot of mi.s, and there is quite a bit of extra labor to replace it, Im pretty sure the oil pan has to com off to do it cause there's one bolt that inside it, even though the pump is right there. I'll look at my manual to see if Im remembering it correctly. anyone else who knows of this feel free to chime in and let me know. we reused the orig. timing chain on ryans formula, but he also only had 20K mi.s on it. on top of that, I beileve the oil pump has to come off to replace the lower gear. I'll see in my manual at work tomorrow. if we/you do either, we/you would want to do both. pump and timing chain. what kind of a combo price are you geting all this stuff for? Ryan got his from thunder racing last spring for just under $500 I believe for everything but the timing chain and pump.

later
Old 01-25-2004, 03:34 PM

The oil pump bolts come off from the front easy enough but removing the pickup tube (& bolt) will require you to drop the oil pan a bit.

It doesn't have to come all the way out. You can get the pickup tube bolt off by dropping the pan about 3/4" and being patient. It's was a pretty scary bolt for me because you really don't want it to drop in the oil pan.

Be very careful with the 2 small oil pan bolts (rear) when re-assembling. Their torque value is in inch lbs and they're really easy to strip.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:14 AM

thanks kevyn, now i remember. and, thanks for the warning about the bolts, I do have an inch pounds torque wrench to use.
chris
Old 01-26-2004, 06:02 PM

i am off of van born and beech daly IROCss85, keep in touch and let me know when your ready and how much
thanks