Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Anyone have Wide Open West in Detroit area or know someone who does?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Question Anyone have Wide Open West in Detroit area or know someone who does?

Okay, Comcast has pissed me off for the last time and I plan to switch to Wide Open West. Anyone have it or know someone who does in the Detroit area? Got any feedback or information you can give me before I take the plunge?

If it came down to it where it sucks after I get it I can switch back to Comcast, but I want to know what I am in for.

Anything is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-05-2003, 02:12 PM

I had comcast and switched to wideopenwest last month and I'm loving it. They have better internet service and there tv picture is clearer than comcast. My brother also switched a few months ago and he loves it. I have 3 other friends who have switched and all love it. IMO anyone who has comcast is a dork and needs to switch right now. Oh and there cheaper.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:28 PM

Well, I guess I'm a dork then. WOW isn't available in my area. I only use Comcast for internet. I have Dish Network for TV.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:03 PM

wow, works great, i have had it for about 6 months.
no problems
Old 01-05-2003, 06:12 PM

I'm switching to Wide Open West on Monday. I've been threatening to do it for a long time - since internet was available in February (now that I think about it, I've been wanting to switch even back when WOW was Americast!) but the last straw was this week. Check this out, I just posted this on Motown Muscle a couple of days ago:

[rant]

You want bad customer service, try dealing with COMCRAP CABLE! If you are adding services, it takes them about 15 minutes. If you are removing services it takes 2 visits to their office (1 to start the change and the 2nd to get it completed) and about 3 phone calls inbetween the 2 visits.

Listen to this: I moved down here to Mississippi back early November. On November 8, I walked into their Dearborn office with their cable modem. I told the lady I want to turn in the cable modem, cancel my cable internet and switch my full basic to tier 1 basic (network channels only -$10.80 per month). I even tell her, will this definitely be done because every time I make a change with you guys I have to call 2 or 3 times minimum. "Oh, no problem. I'll make sure it gets done" she tells me.

Unfortunately for me, I have direct debit for my bill payments. A couple weeks later, I get a statement in the mail for my full $83 cable bill. I let it go figuring they just printed and sent the bill before they made the changes. A month later (early December), I get another bill for the full amount. This time I call them. I was very polite and let them know I was irritated but wasn't too forceful on the issue. This is what I get. "Well sir, we show that you turned in your cable modem on 11/8 but that you still have cable internet. We also show you still have full basic cable even though we put in a work order on 11/8 to have it switched to tier 1. I don't know why that happened. I'll get that taken care of and you will see a full credit for everything we debited from your account in error."

Fast forward to Wednesday. I haven't gotten my next bill yet, but on a hunch I decided to give them another call. Suprise, suprise! I still am getting cable internet and full basic cable! I ask for a manager. The lady says, "I am a manager." This time, I'm still polite but I make my thoughts on their suck *** customer service very clear. She apologizes profusly and claims to make the changes for me. She now says I have a $160 credit on my bill. I say, "Send me a check." She says, "We can't do that. We can leave it as a credit or you can come into one of our branch offices and we'll give you your money." I politely inform her that I'm 1000 miles away from one of her brance offices and that their policy is total bull****. I then firmly say, "You will send me a check." All of this with no swearing! I thought I held my temper in check very well.

At this point I am informed she will have to talk to their accounting department and she will call me back soon. Definitely no later than close of business that same day. Guess what? Still no return phone call! I'm not suprised, but when you already have a customer that is obviously extremely p!ssed off but has still tried to be reasonable don't you think you could atleast call them back? And this was a f-ing manager! Needless to say, I'm calling Monday to cancel completely. Then I'll definitely get my check. I'll also mail them a certified letter (w/ delivery confirmation receipt) instructing the retarded idiots to turn their **** off.

I also looked into filing a complaint with either the state attorney general or the better business beaureau because this has happened to me with them before. Apparently as long as they are still working with me to resolve the issue, I shouldn't have a complaint. Atleast according to the BBB and state AG.

[/rant] Sorry so long but thanks for letting me vent!

Last edited by 94_Z28_ragtop; 01-05-2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:54 PM

My sister has had WOW for a couple months now and loves it, no problems at all. She has the Cable and Internet package for $44.95 a month.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:57 PM

I've had it since early summer, and other that a couple of very brief outages it has been great! I like the fact that you can buy 3 different speeds, too. Of course, I went with the middle one, which lasted about a week, until I upgraded (in 5 minutes on the phone!).

Mark
Old 01-06-2003, 04:56 PM

I work at a small computer shop CCUSA and we used to sell Mediaone before it switched to Comcast and we have had NOTHING but complaints since. We now sell WoW and haven't had a single complaint yet.

Last edited by Eddie95Z28; 01-07-2003 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:58 PM

I had Media One in Northville in my apartment and easily got 100-130 k per second. With my Comcast in Wolverine Lake, I'm lucky to get 20. It's depressing. DSL wasn't any better for me here though.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:16 PM

When it was MediaOne in my area, it rocked. Awesome internet connection. I never had a single complaint in 4 years of service. Hell, they even gave me all 4 movie channels for free for 2+ years. And it was totally legitimate. Their service was great, too!

Anyway, my WOW cable gets installed this Saturday. I'll call Friday and tell Comcrap to turn theirs off. I probably really will send them a certified letter w/ receipt confirmation also to make sure it gets cancelled.

Last edited by 94_Z28_ragtop; 01-06-2003 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:15 AM

I'd like to put in another vote for WOW. after many problems with commie craps billing, i finally cancelled the their services, and got WOW hooked up. They have much better customer service, the only problem that i have had so far with WOW is they installed a new cable from the pole to the house, i requested that it be buried in the ground, they said no problem, when the installer left, the cable was lying across my yard, so i had to bury it myself, then about 2 weeks later, another cable crew came to my house and said they were there to bury the cable and were very delighted to find out i already did their work for them.

later
larry
Old 01-07-2003, 09:57 PM

Yeah my sister had the same problem with them not burying the cable. After one call though they had someone out at the time they said they would be and all was taken care of.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:45 PM

i've had WOW for about 6mo, no problems at ALL. It's seems to NEVER EVER go down like comcrap did. Also, not many ppl use there internet service, so the BW it totally NICE
On the low end internet service you are caped at 33.4k uploads, comcrap is at 16k/s, screw them, get WOW.
-Steve