LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

who would you take your motor to for a Stroker rebuild????

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 10:12 PM

Location: Windsor, Canada: Home of the FASTEST LT1 & LS1 6 spds :)
who would you take your motor to for a Stroker rebuild????

well it is time to freshen the motor. i have already decided to upgrade the rods. then of course new bearings and rings. needless to say the motor is pushed to the limit.

i live near Detroit, so if you have any sugggestions (near detroit) it would be appreciated. also if there is a reason you wouldn't take it to someone feel free to mention that as well.

i am even considering having it redone in Windsor. I figure with it being an old school SBC, it should be straight forward to put back together. and i trust the individual that would have it.

it is a very tough decision, i hope i can make the right choice.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by taner; 10-05-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:58 PM

Actually it aint that bad, maybe you should take it to his garage. Just have a shop hot tank it and clearance the block for you. I never put a motor together before but doing my stroker. Saves a lot of money I just hope it works. I'm actually glad I'm doing it. Have a sense of pride. Also I double check every little thing I do not missing anything. So maybe...just maybe.....with a lil TLC might be beter than if a shop put it together. I saw some of them work. My brother in law is a mechanic and does overhauls. he told me.....just like Allen Iverson said, don't know anyone that's innocent. He said they all take short cuts. Even the good ones.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:10 AM

i haven't assembled a short block in a few years. let alone one the makes about 900 fwhp. call me crazy but i wouldn't mind having a pro do it. i have done everything else to the car myself or with the help of good friends.

i plan to remove, teardown and inspect prior to getting the block prepped, etc....

so what no suggestions
Old 10-06-2003, 09:10 AM

Might want to try Allan Futral at Futral Motorsports. He built my 383 LT1. It is not power hungry like what you want just something to have fun with. But he can build anything you want. Hell he put the first LS1 M6 N/A in the 10's. He is in the 9's with his M6 LS1 and just built a new one that has not been raced yet for Gordon that is hitting 576 rwhp with injectors that are to small. Again that is 576 rwhp N/A. With the right injectors and his sheet metal intake will be well over 600rwhp.

www.futralmotorsports.com

225-791-9593

If you call him he may not be there. Not a real giant company like some. Therefore you will get to deal directly with him most of the time. Nice to talk to the guy that is actually going to build the engine not just a sales person at the front desk. If he isn't there leave a message he will call you back

Later,
JoMo
Old 10-06-2003, 09:30 AM

Talk to Bret at bret@bauer-racing.com He is a supporter of this board and knows his stuff! Builds a very nice motor.

Rich Krause
Old 10-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Put it in a crate, and send it to:

Second Street Speed
Perkasie, PA

Home of at least one fast LT1....

A satisfied Second Street customer.....
Old 10-06-2003, 09:45 AM

Isn't Agostino Racing in your neck of the woods? Either way, they would be an excellent choice! I don't know how far you are from Toronto, but I think that's where they are located.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:38 AM

carlos,

guess who built the motor the last 2 times. not getting into it but i will have someone else freshen it up this time.

rskrause,

i too have heard good things about bret @ bauer!

injuneer,

do you have a ph. number? thanks!

jomo_eng,

yes Alan does have the 2nd fastest m6 car
that is awesome! but i think he i in texas, i would like to keep it a bit closer to home is all. i am considering taking it to Nutek as well. also i do think that there is nothing wrong with using a smaller shop at all!
thanks for the suggestions i will have some calls to make soon enough.

Last edited by taner; 10-07-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Second Street Speed
109 S. Second Street
Perkasie, PA 18944

215-257-3724

Ask for Lon. Tell him Fred gave you the number.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:13 PM

I dont mean to barge in on this post, but I am in the same general vicinity as you Taner and am looking for a good shop to build my 383 for me, I have very bad luck with things with engines so I want to make sure that it is done right down to the last metal shaving. I would also be interested in suggestions of good shops in the OHIO/Michigan area, I looked up Second Street and they are 520 miles away from me, and further from Detroit, anybody know about how much it would cost to crate up a block and ship it? And if its not a inpolite thing to ask, if you wouldnt mind Taner, since I have nothing but respect for you and your beast, would you mind letting me know where you end up sending it? Thanks a lot.

Jon Addis
Old 10-06-2003, 03:30 PM

injuneer,
thanks! i just spoke to him.

jon,

drop me an email please and when i decide i will let you know, actually nutek is really close to you. he has built some pretty potent LT1 motors!

Patrick,

check ur pm box....
Old 10-06-2003, 04:54 PM

ttt

oh and Fred....Baxter's car rules!!!!!!!

Last edited by taner; 10-06-2003 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:43 PM

I cant say I have some huge name, or even a fastest car guy like the others. But I know a man here in Grand Rapids, who does crazy things with motors. Kinda a local guru when it comes to going fast. His name is Mike Rogers, and he has to be the pickest man I have ever met. Everything has to be PERFECT. And he is the only guy I have ever seen build a motor that runs in the 7's. If you are intersted in something like that, drop me a line and I will get you the number. I have nothing but trust and respect for the man. Ultimatly that is going to be the problem Tanman. There are Hundreds of good engine builders who will go over every detail with you and make it just as you want it. Your just gonna have to pick the one you find easiest to deal with that has a good reputation following him. Good luck, and let me know if you need any help

Q
Old 10-06-2003, 07:14 PM

hmmmm shoot me his number if you wouldn't mind! thanks Q
Old 10-07-2003, 02:13 AM

Hey Tanner,

You being in or near the Detroit area I have a place that you will be able to drive to and they build some of the most powerful motor's around in drag racing not to mention they are nitrous tuners and you will see them at the NSCA events and the NMRA events tunning car's. They do have experience with LT motors also. Call:

www.fasttimesmotorworks.com

And I understand completely.

See Ya,
Jim

Quick Reply: who would you take your motor to for a Stroker rebuild????