LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Where can I get a push in oil filler tube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:42 PM

Where can I get a push in oil filler tube?

I just bought a pair of polished valve covers for my car and they take the push in style oil filler tubes. Well the stock Lt1 oil fillers are screw in. Does anyone know where I can find the push in style cause I'm not having any luck... Thanks -Matt
Old 03-28-2006, 06:00 PM

Re: Where can I get a push in oil filler tube?

The aftermarket valve covers are designed to use push in breathers. Whenever you fill the engine back up with oil, just pop the breather out and put a funnel in it's place.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:21 PM

Your best bet is to go to Autozone. They have a lot of filler caps behind the counter. If the guy is nice they might let you try a few that are made for different cars, I'm sure you'll find one that might fit.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:33 PM

I have been to quite a few auto stores such as autozone, advance auto, pep boys, and none of em have it. As far as the breathers are concerned I was under the impression that it isnt a good thing to have a breather in and have the PCV hooked up. Also the hole is the same size as the oil filler I have just no threads, so I would think a push in filler would work if I could find one.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by 96trans am
I have been to quite a few auto stores such as autozone, advance auto, pep boys, and none of em have it. As far as the breathers are concerned I was under the impression that it isnt a good thing to have a breather in and have the PCV hooked up. Also the hole is the same size as the oil filler I have just no threads, so I would think a push in filler would work if I could find one.
A breather has no affect on the PCV valve; it will still function as it was designed to. A breather will allow a small amount of unmetered air to enter the engine but it's nothing the PCM can't handle. Plenty of people who have switched to aftermarket covers are using them with no issues. I really don't understand why you'd still want to have an ugly tube sticking out of your valve cover as eliminating this is one of the reasons people go with aftermarket covers to begin with. If you're absolutely dead set on still having a filler tube then you're most likely going to have to grind the threads off a stock one so it'll clear the edges of the hole and then seal it in place with RTV, or something equivalent. I've never seen nor heard of an aftermarket push in oil filler tube, so I couldn't begin to tell you where to look. If Jeg's or Summit doesn't carry them, that might give you a good indication of how hard it will be to find.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:24 AM

I think I might just go with the breather it only makes sense. And thats true I can't seem to find the push in style oil fillers anywhere. Thanks man. -Matt