LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

wheel hop..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 04:42 PM

wheel hop..

sometimes if i launch hard the car starts to shake and the back end feels like its hoping is there anyway to fix this? it did this before all stock and after the sportlines and new shocks.. im going to be putting relocation brackets and subframes connectors there sitting in my room will they help this problem..?
Old 06-01-2003, 05:42 PM

Get some traction bars, this should put a stop to the wheel hop. Just be happy you have a Camaro, the wheel hop isnt too bad. First time i road in a newer Cobra i stared laughing at how bad the wheel hop was, i seriously thought something broke.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:54 PM

When my SS was stock I had the same problem. I bought some lower control arms and solved that problem quickly.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:24 PM

Nono
Just get LCA and LCA brakets!
Old 06-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Do NOT put traction bars on a 4th Gen torque arm suspension.,.. you will put the entire rear suspension in "bind" and tear something apart if you have enough power. No way to compare the problems that you find in the recent Cobras with their IRS... two vastly different suspension systems.

Wheel hop becomes a problem when the body end of the lower control arm drops below the axle end of the arm. That causes the LCA to push the body down, which means the reaction at the other end of the LCA is trying to lift the axle up.... the axle comes up, you lose traction, the body comes up, and the whole cycle starts over again... hop.... hop... hop.

With Sportlines (2" drop?) you are going to have big problems no matter what you do.... lowering and drag racing aren't really compatible. But, you can help by 1) installing the LCA relocation brackets to keep the axle end of the LCA lower, and 2) adjustable shocks, or an airbag in the passenger side coil spring to keep the body from squatting too much.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:42 PM

If everything is in working order an F-body (82-02) shouldn't have any wheel hop. Wheel hop is caused by axle wrap and the torque arm axle shouldn't have any of that! Most wheel hop is caused by bad shocks or worn bushings.

I have had 8 F-Bodies and have yet to incounter wheel hop. Make the suspension work right stock before you mod it.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by CODY BEHNKE
If everything is in working order an F-body (82-02) shouldn't have any wheel hop. Wheel hop is caused by axle wrap and the torque arm axle shouldn't have any of that! Most wheel hop is caused by bad shocks or worn bushings.

I have had 8 F-Bodies and have yet to incounter wheel hop. Make the suspension work right stock before you mod it.
Maybe you should have looked under those F-Bodys..... the LCA's can, and will lift the rear axle if the geometry is wrong. Draw a free-body diagram of the rear axle, and show the resolution of the compressive force in the LCA, into its horizontal and vertical components. Look at what happens when the LCA body pivot is below the LCA axle pivot. Yes, the axle can not rotate because the TA is keeping it from rotating, but there can be a significant vertical "lift" on the axle from the LCA, specifically because it can not rotate.

You also might want to read through the discussion on the Advanced Tech board on "Instant Centers"... includes several posts on "anti-squat" geometry.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:27 AM

Talking

Hmmm, Injuneer, you make some good points. I used to have an '84 Firebird (about 10 years ago) that I had converted from a 2.8 to a 350/turbo350 and with the stock wheels and tires (215 65 15's) I could spin the tires through all three gears and make it only about 30 feet until I'd let off to grab and go (even then I'd have to let off a few more times to straighten out) . So I intalled some 295 50 15's hoping the added traction would solve the spinning (had 3.23 rear gears IIRC) and then the darn thing would hop so bad I thought the rear end was going to take off out from under the car . I totaled the car though before I ever got to figure it out. My plan though was to go with SFC and tubular LCA as the next plan of attack, even though I had liked to think that my engine I had built was just too darn powerful . Man I still miss that car
Old 06-02-2003, 02:41 AM

my car did the wheel hop when it was stock suspension and does it now the the sportlines and the 20's and new shocks... i dunno maybe some crap is broke somewhere or something. and btw i pulled a 1.9 60ft with the sportlines.. so they work fine for drag racings as a matter of fact i had the best 60's out of all the fbodys at the track that day and was the fastest lt1 for somereason even though some had alot more mods than mine does that the moment everything is waiting to be installed.. i also smoked a 2000 z with no cats 6speed intake exhaust chip etc. so idont think they hurt.. i need to find out what this wheel hop madness is, it only does it sometimes
Old 06-02-2003, 03:02 AM

SOUTH SIDE MACHINE SUP. KIT for Camaro, Firebird, T/A's, (Kit includes bars, crossmember,sub-frame, connectors, driveshaft loop, and all reinforcements, straps and gussets.)WILL SET PINION ANGLE, 93-98 Camaro, Firebird, T/A's (including convertibles)FOR CAR WITH 500HP AND UNDER
check out there web page at http://www.southsidemachine.com/gm.shtml
THIS KIT IS ABOUT 600-700 NEW AND THIS KIT HAS NEVER BEEN USED:ILL SELL IT FOR $450

BUT IM THINKING OF PUTTING IT ON MY CAR I GOT IT FOR A GIFT BUT IM NOT SURE IF I WANNA GET IT PUT ON IT WILL COST 3-400 TO GET INSTALLED AND IM THINKING OF PUTTING IT ON MY CAR BUT HAS ANY ONE SEEN THIS KIT ON A CAR OR DOES ANY ONE HAVE IT ON THIER CAR WHAT KINDS OF GAINS WILL I GET AND WILL IT MAKE THE CAR RIDE REALLY BAD OR MAKE IT BETTER TO RIDE IN, THIS IS JUST MY EVERYDAY CAR
ALSO I HAVE 4.10S
Old 06-02-2003, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Do NOT put traction bars on a 4th Gen torque arm suspension.,.. you will put the entire rear suspension in "bind" and tear something apart if you have enough power. No way to compare the problems that you find in the recent Cobras with their IRS... two vastly different suspension systems.

Wheel hop becomes a problem when the body end of the lower control arm drops below the axle end of the arm. That causes the LCA to push the body down, which means the reaction at the other end of the LCA is trying to lift the axle up.... the axle comes up, you lose traction, the body comes up, and the whole cycle starts over again... hop.... hop... hop.

With Sportlines (2" drop?) you are going to have big problems no matter what you do.... lowering and drag racing aren't really compatible. But, you can help by 1) installing the LCA relocation brackets to keep the axle end of the LCA lower, and 2) adjustable shocks, or an airbag in the passenger side coil spring to keep the body from squatting too much.

NOW WHAT I SAID I WANT TO INSTALL ABOVE POST IS THAT WHAT YOUR SAYING NOT TO DO???
Old 06-02-2003, 06:05 AM
Administrator

There are people pulling 1.2x 60-fts' with "stock style" torque arm suspension, and no "traction bars"..... the people who tried the Lakewood stuff found they ripped the bars apart under heavy load. Don't know about the Southside stuff..... but if Madman doesn't need it, Baxter doesn't need it, SLED doesn't need it, it probably isn't the hot set up.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:23 AM

this didn't really help me you don't know anything about it never seen it and your saying don't use it, but you can't give advise if you don't know nothing about what this is so...does any 1?
Old 06-02-2003, 09:43 AM

If you leave the car alone there should be no wheel hop, yes I understand how important LCA agle is but still there should be none because it's dampend.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:45 AM
Administrator

I had wheelhop. I installed an airbag, put 14 pounds in it, and the wheelhop went away.