LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What's your dumbest mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 PM

I've got one no one has mentioned yet. I was helping a buddy install an engine in his 90 Supra. We were nearly there when he put his battery back in. For some reason the headlights came on....funny, the switch wasn't on....what could that be? Turn the key, and nothing happens. We have no power on anything, but some of the lights in the dash are on, and the headlights. Then we see smoke coming from under the hood. For some reason his ignition box has fried. I quickly get the wrench to unhook the battery. Something is causing wiring to heat up. While unhooking the battery I notice he has the red cable on negative and the black on positive. The cables are reversed. I start to laugh and he, realizing what he's done, begins cursing and throwing tools, all the while listening to my laughter. I suppose karma is for real, because as I'm laughing, I arc the wrench to the body and flash weld the wrench with my hand still stuck on it. I quickly break it free and get to listen to his laughter for a while. I don't think the Three Stooges could have done it any better.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:01 PM

most of mine come from letting friends help me. it always seems to end up making more work for me.

some good ones of mine though include getting the opti wet luckily i work for a gm dealer so that was warrantied.

i hooked the pcm ground to the starter signal wire. makes a horrible sound cranking the motor and the gauges go nuts.

never left a drain plug out but changing the oil on my dads car i didnt noticed a dangling wire that got caught in the oil filter gasket. that was a mess.

ive broken tons of bolts (none thankfully on the z28)

almost did the "do not jack here" stunt but caught it in time.

im sure there are more but that is all that comes to mind.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Wow, this is an old thread ! I would have to say that among my many mistakes, this one was my most painful. When I had my 84 Z28, I wanted to work on the exhaust to change out the muffler. I jacked up the car, put it on the stands, everything to make sure I was being safe. While I was under there I managed to strip one of the nuts on the exhaust clamps so I decided to get out the Vice grips (done it at least a dozen times before). Well every attempt I tried just kept rounding the nut more and more, so I figured I would give it one more try before I got out the hack saw. It took everything I had just to get the jaws to lock on this thing. It broke loose !! Hell yeah I'm on my way again. Well then I couldn't get the damn things off ! Keep in mind I'm laying on my back with the car about 6" from my face. These vise grips were the kind where the lock lever extended past the handle and they needed to be squeezed towards the adjusting **** to release the grip. Anyway,for some reason i manuvered my body to be able to squeeze better and then I give it everything I had. Needless to say I woke up about a half hour later with my dad shaking my pant leg and asking if I was ok. When the grips popped open, the release side was pointed right at my forehead, and you guessed it, POW !!!! I had a headache for 3 days because of that one (And probably a slight concussion too)!!

I don't use Vice Grips anymore............
Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 PM

cant think of a good one on my car but ive got a good one that i did to a customers car. it comes in with a no start codition so i pulled a coil and put a plug in it and grounded it ti the engine to test for spark. well that was ok so i got the fuel pressure gauge and hooked it to the rail, no fuel pressure. well i fixed the fuel pressure problem and went to start the car forgetting that the spark plug and coil were still there. and i did not know the fuel pressure gauge o-ring was cut. so i had a fuel leak drirected right at a working spark plug. big fire ball. the car was on fire for about 20 seconds but we put it out with a fire extinguisher. i got really lucky it did not damage anything and the customer got their car back the next day none the wiser.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:14 PM

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...78#post6133878
Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM

Bought a project 1970 Firebird. We spent a ton of money freshening up the engine with new heads/cam/carb/etc.

Didnt bother replacing the bottom end on a 35 year old motor and immediatley blew up the motor
Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 PM

Buying an LT1 and investing too much money into it!!! But besides that, probably putting a 2800 stall converter in it, I should have gone much higher. OH YEAH, and fixing my AC, I should have just taken it out when I had the chance. Now I kind of want to take it out, but I can't justify doing it because I spent the money to fix it.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 PM

How the hell did you dig up this old thread?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:04 AM

I had quite the 'moment' when i replaced my Opti cap and rotor and forgot to put a hose clamp on the water pump. Now i have to replace the rest of the opti, which was drenched from coolant. I went nuts. At least i have an Opti replacement job down to an hour and some change.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:54 PM

when i was 16 the 78 Z28 was my first car, it started out as a $500 POS. After getting it running (new motor) and painted i began driving it full time. I smoked the tires a lot and eventually decided to rotate the tires, i lost track of time and had to hurry to get to work in time. I was going about 40mph and there was a weird vibration then bam!! and my front right tire shot off at a 45* angle hit the curb and launched into the trees. The front rotor scraped on the ground for about 30 feet. I forgot to tighten the lugs on that wheel. A lady in a mini-van had to give me a ride home. No damange to the fender, and i found the wheel and tire about 20 yards in the woods, but the rotor was toast. I kept the rotor and use it as a base for a shop light, so when i move it i see it again with a huge flat spot.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM

Buying an LT1 car instead of an LT2. I have at LEAST $25,000.00 in a 1995 car!!!!!! And it is starting to act up AGAIN.