LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What's your dumbest mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 12:35 PM

Re: What's your dumbest mistake?

for all of the advise given to people on this site.... that sure is a lot of dumb mistakes!!!!! scarey huh? i wasn't working on my z but i let freon out in my mouth, eye, hair and all over my chest.... i drained the high side and forgot to drain the lowside.... an air ratchet and 10 mm later... i was running for the water fountain!

i've also tasted probably every known chemical in the car business one way or the other...

here is how i rated them! 1 being the worst

1. freon
2. red anitfreeze (gm style)
3. clearcoat
4. pb blaster
5. wd40
6. carb cleaner
7. brake cleaner
8. green anitfreeze (it really does taste sweet.... don't recommend trying it though)
9. good ole motor oil
10. gear oil
11. tranny fluid (taste like it smells... kinda weird huh?)

and of course i've burned my hair off with starter fluid, and oh yeah... NEVER spray Non-flammable break cleaner into a running engine. the exhaust fumes made smoke come out of my mouth...... with no cigarette might i add.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:15 PM

When I went to change my fuel filter the filter was rusted on pretty good, so I just used a "little" force and ended up twisting and kinking up the fuel line. Ended up costing 60 bucks to replace the line because the dealership had to order all 3 lines.

Left a jackstand underneath the front of the car (not holding it up, just there incase the others had fallin) and then tried to move off my ramps, got lucky and my dad told me to stop and back up.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:16 PM

when i was first trying to start the car with the new motor i couldnt figure out why the car had no power. i checked all the fuses under the hood and the dash. nothing. i was getting PISSED. i decided to take the acces. that i wired off of the side post adapters thinking maybe the maximizer had shorted something out. looking at the positive side of the batt made me scratch my head a little. i screwed the post in, but didnt connect the positive side. WTF WAS WRONG WITH ME??
Old 08-29-2004, 11:49 AM

Cool Re: What's your dumbest mistake?

probably the worst one of all: i had my drive shaft rebalanced one day and after i put it back on while it was on the jack stands i started the car up and put it in gear. it wasnt vibrating and the car was just idling at like 10 mph so i give it a little gas and its gets a little faster. so im like so i start mashing on it trynna get it to 150 lol and before ya know my car made a real hard shake so i shut it down. everyone came running out of the house wandering what the hell that loud noise was and im like "nothing" so i look under the car and my transmission was broke on the bellhousing and tailshaft and the rearend got tore up. so yall dont ever try that one lol take it from someone who knows. could have been worse though it could have fell off the jack stands
Old 08-29-2004, 11:52 AM

the dumbest thing i've done since workin on my truck would have probably been trying to drain the water out of my air tanks(my silverado is bagged) without putting a jack under the frame so i could get it back up. that was fun.

The truck dropped so quick that i couldnt close the drain valve and i had no jack under the truck. about 3 friends later, i had a jack under it. :LOL:
Old 08-29-2004, 02:18 PM

the dumbest thing i ever working on my car was not working on my car, letting jiffy lube change my dif fluid and not asking them if they put the gm diff lube in, needless to say about a month lator my rear blew, which was not entirely the fault of no gm diff lube, im sure i partook in that. the bigest mistake of all was not bring my camaro out to germany w/ me, i miss it more than words can say, and i cant wait to go home on leave so i can make more dumb mistakes working on my baby.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1badasZ
probably the worst one of all: i had my drive shaft rebalanced one day and after i put it back on while it was on the jack stands i started the car up and put it in gear. it wasnt vibrating and the car was just idling at like 10 mph so i give it a little gas and its gets a little faster. so im like so i start mashing on it trynna get it to 150 lol and before ya know my car made a real hard shake so i shut it down. everyone came running out of the house wandering what the hell that loud noise was and im like "nothing" so i look under the car and my transmission was broke on the bellhousing and tailshaft and the rearend got tore up. so yall dont ever try that one lol take it from someone who knows. could have been worse though it could have fell off the jack stands
Ouch, that's pretty bad.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:35 PM

that one is rough. isnt the bellhousing a solid peice with the auto tranny?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS
that one is rough. isnt the bellhousing a solid peice with the auto tranny?
Yes.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:35 PM

TRIED TO REBUILD MY OWN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Old 08-30-2004, 04:11 PM

I had been under the car for awhile routing a new wire (welding lead) to relocate the battery to the rear sump. I was almost finished, and I had seemed to have found the perfect spot in the sump to mount a cable bracket. I drilled the starting hole for the self tapping screw, when all of the sudden water started pouring out of the hole. And for an instance I actually though to myself - hey, why is water pouring out of the rear sump? Sniff, sniff... hey that's not WATER, IT'S GASOLINE!!!

Man, did I feel like a Moron. I was nowhere near the sump and had drilled a hole right into the bottom of the gas tank - what was I thinking ???
Old 08-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Dumbest thing I remember doing is paying a shop to do my rear end swap...

F34king idiots screwed up and I brought it back to them... only to have them screw it up again...

THat was the only time I ever paid someone to do work I couldn't do myself and last...

H3ll now I can do a gear swap with my eyes blind folded.

Other than that the dumbest thing I did was yesterday... I missed the Cam Pin on my opti...
Old 10-06-2009, 03:28 PM

Well heres a dumbass mistake for you. I was trying to get my tranny off to replace my clutch but had never done the job before. I did not know that the clutch for must be disengaged before the trans will come out. I tugged and twisted the tranns for hours but it would not budge. I had red that the clutch sometimes will seize to the trans shaft so I bought a come-along and strapped it to the back of my trans and the rear axel. After A LOT of tension it FINALLY broke free... and once i got the tranny out from under the car i saw that the fork was broke in half lol. After some reading later that night I found out the damn things gotta be uninstalled... well i guess its a lesson learned in the books
Old 10-06-2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 12sec97Z28
What's the dumbest thing you've ever done while working on your car? I think we'll all feel better when we hear that other people do stupid things too!
Well, how about letting other people do stupid things to your car. I'm sure you've heard it before, "if you want it done right, do it yourself." Well that can also apply to people you know helping you out with your car as well...haha. Oh well, friends are free help also right
Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM

We had a potatoe gun once ... the spark igniter was intermittantly failing so we drilled a small hole in the side of the gun. We used a long lighter to set it off.

I fixed the igniter, threaded it back in, and loaded her up. Walked across the back yard Rambo style with it, and ... it ignited. But the hole, I forgot to plug it. So it burned like a torch immediately through my jean shorts, boxers, and de-pube-haired me leaving me with a HUGE burn right above my uhmm ... yea. If I shave like a woman, you can see a nasty burn scar about 1" above my junk ...

Quick Reply: What's your dumbest mistake?