Mild camshaft

230's 530 lift.
rebuilt stock bottom
ported heads
open LT's
4:11 (" rear
ATI 10" 3800 converter
700r trans

I think its in the knock sensor or something pulling timing.....
I drove it when its in the far lane. It pulled the left front tire about 6 inches then rolled out...just got slower and slower down the track and 3rd gear it fell on its face.

I plan to log it and have it on the dyno monday.

It is a 93, Madz28 did the chip..... The car is just flat out a dead duck.....only ran a 12.60@106......1.75 60'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0FVftMp1_o

Need some ideas

Last edited by mdacton; 11-22-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:54 PM

Isn't Alvin@pcmforless, in your area? He's pretty sharp with those speed density cars..Ed is also. Wouldn't hurt to ask..
Old 11-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned

well the car will be back here at 7a.m. and I plan to go over it and do some logging etc.

It has a 24# injector in it.....but I don't think thats it...I have run 120mph with a stock injector and a stock replacement pump.....

Maybe the pump is bad?....but when it goes in 3rd its just dead, the car has now power....something just tell sme it has to be timing to lose that much power
Old 11-22-2008, 09:08 PM

You could always throw a FP gauge on it, while you test/log it.

Pull a few of the spark plugs, see what they look like..Just a thought.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 AM

Fuel pressure has already been mentioned. Are you sure the converter isn't locking up in the run? I'm not a big fan of ATI converters in A4's. This could be a converter inefficiency problem. Does it "fall on it's face" immediately on the 2-3 shift? If so, this could be a sign of problems beginning in the transmission. What condition is the fluid in? You might want to pull the pan to get a good visual inspection.

Frank
CPT
Old 11-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 12SCNDZ
Fuel pressure has already been mentioned. Are you sure the converter isn't locking up in the run? I'm not a big fan of ATI converters in A4's. This could be a converter inefficiency problem. Does it "fall on it's face" immediately on the 2-3 shift? If so, this could be a sign of problems beginning in the transmission. What condition is the fluid in? You might want to pull the pan to get a good visual inspection.

Frank
CPT
Frank it falls dead on its face in 3rd......soon as it shifts.

Fuel pressure is good, it will not restart after I check fuel pressure this morning and I think it is only firing on 2-3 cyl's.....will not start but it fires on a few....

I am going to check out the ignition now, but it was not missing or breaking up yesterday as you can see in the video....

frank the fluid is fresh/new...trans is old it shifts good does not slip but I don't know how these thing work in 3rd.....it could be doing something funny.

even if the converter was junk it shouldn't be doing what it is.....If we need another converter I will get one but I don't think its an issue at this point. If I'm wrong tell me...but explain why...b/c if I don't understand why I will just dismiss it and look somewhere else
Old 11-23-2008, 02:27 PM

Assuming the fuel pressure checked out fine, check the coil wire and make sure its good and tight. If it is the ignition would be the next thing I would check.

If all that checks out, pull the fuse for the pcm for a couple seconds and put it back and then try to restart the car. The open lt's are probably giving the o2 sensors trouble if you guys are using closed loop. Also if the fuel trims are way off it can throw off wot fueling and make the car a dog.

If you get it to start and take logs post them up i'll take a look.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
Assuming the fuel pressure checked out fine, check the coil wire and make sure its good and tight. If it is the ignition would be the next thing I would check.

If all that checks out, pull the fuse for the pcm for a couple seconds and put it back and then try to restart the car. The open lt's are probably giving the o2 sensors trouble if you guys are using closed loop. Also if the fuel trims are way off it can throw off wot fueling and make the car a dog.

If you get it to start and take logs post them up i'll take a look.
the opti took a crap, replaced it drove it its still a dog. The fuel press is fine...is fine wide open also...the car runs WOT but is slow as hell...should be alot faster.

I need to try and get the data for it....

I am trying to get some pipes on it, but thats another story. Also this being a 93 can I still log it with the cable etc that I have for 94-95 cars...?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Its still obd1 so afaik you should be fine. Never done any work on 93's myself.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 PM

If you have sufficient fuel pressure at high rpms then perhaps your cam is too big or the rpm range too high what do you rev too and what is your cam advertised power rpm range? i know that where i go to school they have a drag truck with a cam that is too big it goes like hell first second but when it shifts to 3rd the rpms are too low for it to pull back up after shifting
Old 11-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 93FIRETURD
If you have sufficient fuel pressure at high rpms then perhaps your cam is too big or the rpm range too high what do you rev too and what is your cam advertised power rpm range? i know that where i go to school they have a drag truck with a cam that is too big it goes like hell first second but when it shifts to 3rd the rpms are too low for it to pull back up after shifting
its a custom ground cam, if anything its too small.....I shifted it at 6k...
Old 11-23-2008, 08:00 PM

93s have unheated single wire o2s from the factory that do not play well with coated headers and a full exhaust, let alone dumped longtubes.

May not be your problem now, but it will for sure cause some issues eventually. I switched to the thunder racing 4 wire heated o2 conversion kit and it has worked flawlessly for about 2 years now and increased drivability by a ton. Was pretty cheap and easy to do as well.

I can't watch the vid becuase I am at work on my BB, but just a shot in the dark going by description it sounds like both an ignition problem keeping it from starting/running, and a developing trans issue killing your mph and top end. Something is eating tons of power, and if you say its right when it shifts to third that sounds like the trans to me!!

Get it datalogged to check the o2s and timing to help narrow it down .
Old 11-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by <Puck>
93s have unheated single wire o2s from the factory that do not play well with coated headers and a full exhaust, let alone dumped longtubes.

May not be your problem now, but it will for sure cause some issues eventually. I switched to the thunder racing 4 wire heated o2 conversion kit and it has worked flawlessly for about 2 years now and increased drivability by a ton. Was pretty cheap and easy to do as well.

I can't watch the vid becuase I am at work on my BB, but just a shot in the dark going by description it sounds like both an ignition problem keeping it from starting/running, and a developing trans issue killing your mph and top end. Something is eating tons of power, and if you say its right when it shifts to third that sounds like the trans to me!!

Get it datalogged to check the o2s and timing to help narrow it down .
when it shift to 3rd its not slipping the motor is draggin down and lugging..... how is it a trans issue. I need someone to explain that one to me......Unless it going into OD locked up I don't see it being the trans. I need someone to explain that to me...

don't care about drivability at all, its a bracket car, not street driven and the headers are uncoated and have been used before.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:56 AM

it doesnt sound like the trans...but in the video you can definetly tell 3rd gear just completely dies out...best bet in my opinion is timing or something ignition related...maybe try drivin it around normal hit third gear and punch it...see if it still just craps out cuz then maybe it could be trans related.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TBSPW
it doesnt sound like the trans...but in the video you can definetly tell 3rd gear just completely dies out...best bet in my opinion is timing or something ignition related...maybe try drivin it around normal hit third gear and punch it...see if it still just craps out cuz then maybe it could be trans related.
I did that and it still does it.....

it not as noticeable in 1st and 2nd but its still lacking power

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with this car? Vid