LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Whats a good Agressive Street Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:05 AM

Whats a good Agressive Street Cam?

Just picked up a 95 ta..now i daily drive my car but want an agressive choppie cam....can anyone give me an idea on whats out there?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Are you interested in better performance, or is it all about "choppie"? A really aggressive cam will not benefit you much unless you have other mods to support it. What has been done to the engine already?

Why not add a "signature" with basic info about the car, including any major modifications?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks For the info injuneer..the car is complete stock...iam ordering parts i was thinking i wanted a cam...parts iam ordering is full exhaust(headers and all,holley 58mm throttle body and intake)...what supporting mods do i need for an aggressive cam?i want performance but love the sound of a choppie cam..let me know what you think!?!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Putting a 58mm throttle body on a stock engine is a waste of money.

What "intake" are you buying?

What headers and other exhaust components are you considering?

How do you plan to bypass NJ emissions testing?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Putting a 58mm throttle body on a stock engine is a waste of money.

What "intake" are you buying?

What headers and other exhaust components are you considering?

How do you plan to bypass NJ emissions testing?
I actual just found a used intake(cai) on the boards that iam gunna buy...iam gunna do pacesetters lt's into slp loudmouth...n i wont get the 58mm so iam sure ill have to buy some supporting mods for a cam...as far inspections its got a good 2011 sticker on it and when the time comes to get a new one iam sure ill handle it...

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 AM

There are as many different opinions regarding this subject as there are belly buttons. In my opinion if you are going to use stock heads the most aggressive cam would probably be a Comp Cams 503. Any after market cam will need at least matching springs. Depending on the cam you get you will need to measure for the proper push rod length. So, with that said your looking at a minimum of cam, springs & push rods. I would recommend getting 10 degree locks & 1.6 rockers, but again this is just my opinion.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 AM

thanks mav for the info i will deff be getting the springs pushrods and rockers to support the cam
Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 AM

if i went with the 503 cam could you recommend a spring and pushrod
Old 07-26-2009, 08:53 AM

also,whats someones opinion on the gm847 and cc306?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:21 AM

I used Comp Cams Beehive Springs pn 26918-16, Comp Cams Spring locators pn 4705-16, Comp Cams 11/32 10 Degree Machine Steel Locks pn 614-16 and Comp Cams 10 degree Steel Retainer pn 795-16.
You will find that there is a lot of controversy surrounding the Beehive springs on this board, I returned my original set to Comp & they sent me s free set for free (that was a year ago) and I feel they have worked out all the problems they were having with them since. I've had no problems with them, and I've also read that PAC springs are an excellent alternative. I used GMPP 5/16” Guide plates pn NAL-14011051. I used Comp Cams 1.6 full roller rockers, and the push rods I got from mdacton, I don't recall the maker but I do remember that he told me "DO NOT" use the push rods with the little ***** on the ends, which is what I had originally purchased.
As for the 847 & 306 it is my understanding that unless you get a serious set of heads these cams are pretty much useless.
I am a complete novice on this board compared to everyone else, this board is an excellent source and that is exactly how I got the parts together for my valve train. I probably read at least 100 posts to every one I make. The search option is your friend, I would suggest using it first as you will usually find your answer before you post a new thread. Again, this is all my personal opinion.

Last edited by maverickmk; 07-26-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM

CC 503 is a great choice for most street cars not wanting to lose drivability, etc. It has a pretty good chop and will make some good powerr for you.

Make sure and get good springs, 1.6 roller rockers and good pushrods as mentioned.

Lloyd
Old 07-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by sickler
I actual just found a used intake(cai) on the boards that iam gunna buy...iam gunna do pacesetters lt's into slp loudmouth...n i wont get the 58mm so iam sure ill have to buy some supporting mods for a cam...as far inspections its got a good 2011 sticker on it and when the time comes to get a new one iam sure ill handle it...

Thanks!
Are you sure you want a daily driver that is that loud here in Jersey? Will you retain the cat? Don't think a cop won't do a visual inspection for cats if the exhaust is that loud. Also, I've heard rumors some departments carry decible meters.

Hate to see you not be able to enjoy the new ride because the cops keep messing with ya.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
CC 503 is a great choice for most street cars not wanting to lose drivability, etc. It has a pretty good chop and will make some good powerr for you.

Make sure and get good springs, 1.6 roller rockers and good pushrods as mentioned.

Lloyd
wat pushrods do you recommend
Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 PM

gm847 if you want to go bigger or cc503 if you want to go smaller.

But if you really wan to make the most HP per $ I would private message nighttrain 66(he posted on this thread). He cuts custom cams and can create something exactly for your needs. It will cost another 50-60 bucks over something off the shelf but I think its worth it when you can ask for everything you want and get what you want.

I would talk to him about something in between the 847 and 503. I think it would be a good balance of power, driveabiltity, etc.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 PM

I like TrickFlow chromemoly pushrods. A high quality pushrod at a decent price.

Quick Reply: Whats a good Agressive Street Cam?