LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Whats Causing my MAP sensor to set a code?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 10:43 PM

Whats Causing my MAP sensor to set a code?

Just got done my cam swap over the weekend and after i started it up, i got two codes. EGR and MAP sensors. The egr was supposed to be programed out by PCMFORLESS but i guess they forgot to do that, along with the idle that isnt set right and the shift points that are way low. But hey i wasnt expecting them to get it perfect on the first program anyway so i got the unlimited tunes.

Anyway, back to my concern. The map sensor threw a code and i was wondering what usually causes this. It seems as though the intake was EXCESSIVELY hot after only about 4-5 minutes after startup. The idle is set too low on the car so i cant get it to stay running without feathering the throttle. It seems to be idleing around 500 rpms in park and with the 236/242 in my 355 this needs to be set a little higher, like around 750???? Would this low idle cause some reversion and allow some exhaust gasses to go into the intake, causing the map sensor to throw a code? I plan on running a data log with my datamaster as soon as i get a free moment. Holefully i can send this to Bryan and have him diagnose the problem for me, but first i would like to know what the problem is.

Also, i have a CSI elec. WP and i was wondering what everyone has done for the wiring? I want to hook it up so that i can run the pupm at the track in between passes so i need a switch to be up front? Does anyone have a schematic for this? And i was also wondering what source you were using for the "hot" to the WP because i hooked it directly to the power supply on the pass. strut tower and after about 10 seconds, the pump housing was so hot i cold not touch it with my hand. Is this supposed to be normal for these pumps?

Any info is appreciated

Brandon
Old 10-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Re: Whats Causing my MAP sensor to set a code?

Sounds like the very low idle speed, coupled with the high overlap on the cam is not producing enough manifold vacuum. The MAP sensor needs to see less than 68kPa, or it will set a code for high MAP volts (is that the code you got DTC 33?). Are the valve adjusted correctly? That could also cause low vacuum. I doubt he would have programmed it for 500rpm in park, at least not with that cam. You need to find out why its idling so low... have you checked the IAC counts? Is the IAC connected?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:17 AM

Yes the IAC is connected but i will not be able to hook it up to my lap top until this weekend when i go home again to see what all the parameters are reading. I am going to check with Bryan just to see what he has everything set at. Yes the valves are adjusted correctly. I am not sure what the code was (DTC 33?) but i can check. I used a tech II and i just happened to look at the callout for the code and not the actual code itself. Do you know what would cause the intake to get hot. What is the average temp for the intake to reach with this type of application? I will be able to post more info this weekend.

Brandon
Old 10-11-2004, 04:19 PM

ttt

Brandon