LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What Timing Set options do I have with EWP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Question What Timing Set options do I have with EWP?

Ok,

While my block is at the machine shop, I'm trying to get the remaining parts I need ordered. One of which is a new timing set.

Here's the deal, I already have an EWP, and have a healthy '94 non-vented opti-spark, with '94 timing chain cover. I'm looking for a budget minded timing set similar to this: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...9&autoview=sku

to spin my hotcam kit. Since I'm running an EWP, I think I read on a similar post that I can use a standard SBC timing set (as long as its for '87 and later), is this correct?

If so, could someone point me in the right direction for the strongest timing set for around $100?

Also, when re-assembly begins can I completely remove the water pump drive unit without adverse affects? or do I need to block off the whole in the block behind it somehow?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Yes make sure it is for a Factory Hydraulic roller cam and it will fit the LT1.

Some of the thicker sets need the timing cover clearanced some.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Ok awesome,

next question: I'm assuming the standard SBC timing sets (lacking the drive gear to turn the water pump drive) don't magically create more room allowing me to run a double roller with the 94 timing chain cover? Therefore I should be shopping for a single non-roller or single roller timing set right? Then expect to have to clearance it a lil' bit for the standard set.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:28 PM

I've installed the single roller sets from cloyes and they needed no clearance at all, I have also used the billet double roller from cloyes and it was OK on mine, but ned a touch off of a freinds cover. The double roller billet sets are just so nice any small clearancing needed is worth it.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:45 PM

Ok, so here's what I've come up with:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...9&autoview=sku

The bottom one I believe is the billet, and for whatever reason it's cheaper???
The bottom one says in "Application" designed to fit factory roller camshafts, so it should fit correct?

Unless I'm missing something, I think I'll go ahead and order that set. I can't believe how much cheaper it is than Gen-II sets.

Wait a tic...I just notice "WS Sick" you have a 97...maybe you missed it, but I said I'm running a 94' Timing cover with non-vented opti...which is why I asked about fitment; I was under the understanding to go to a double-roller on LT1's you must go to a 95+ timing chain cover w/vented opti.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 PM

You cannot run a non GenII specific (LT1) timing set with a NON Vented opti.

Your non vented opti is driven by the cam gear, not the cam dowel like a vented opti. The cam gear for nonvented opti's is LT1 specific with a notch in place for your opti.

None of those you listed will work, sorry.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 PM

The bottom set is wahat I have.

The only difference I can see is additional timing adjustment on the crank gear, and the one set has a cast iron cam gear.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
You cannot run a non GenII specific (LT1) timing set with a NON Vented opti.

Your non vented opti is driven by the cam gear, not the cam dowel like a vented opti. The cam gear for nonvented opti's is LT1 specific with a notch in place for your opti.

None of those you listed will work, sorry.
Ok ok...that makes sense. I thought this all seemed too good to be true. I remembered there was a catch with the non-vented opti, couldn't remember what it was.

I noticed most of these aftermarket Gen-II lt1 sets list application years at 94-97, but then in a note somewhere say "must use second generation opti".

Hell, for the price of these 94 specific sets, I could just buy a GM LT4 Heavy Duty set. I think I'll just go with an OEM GM chain and sprockets from the dealer.

Is it still possible for me to remove the water pump drive? and do I need to block the hole behind it?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle33
Wait a tic...I just notice "WS Sick" you have a 97...maybe you missed it, but I said I'm running a 94' Timing cover with non-vented opti...which is why I asked about fitment; I was under the understanding to go to a double-roller on LT1's you must go to a 95+ timing chain cover w/vented opti.
good thing Xavier noted this, yes I have the 97 and it is the dowel drive and not the shaft drive.

Good catch.

Yep, sorry for the misinfo.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle33
Ok ok...that makes sense. I thought this all seemed too good to be true. I remembered there was a catch with the non-vented opti, couldn't remember what it was.

I noticed most of these aftermarket Gen-II lt1 sets list application years at 94-97, but then in a note somewhere say "must use second generation opti".

Hell, for the price of these 94 specific sets, I could just buy a GM LT4 Heavy Duty set. I think I'll just go with an OEM GM chain and sprockets from the dealer.

Is it still possible for me to remove the water pump drive? and do I need to block the hole behind it?
The WP drive is pressed into the block and bolted. just remove the two torx headed bolts and drive it out from the lifter valley side.

I plugged my cover with a freese plug , glued it in place.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Ok, yeah I already have the cover figured out; I was referring to the hole left in the block. I'm assuming I can just leave it be, but I'd like to make sure.

Thanks,
Old 04-06-2007, 08:58 AM

Yep that hole can be left as is.