LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related
View Poll Results: What solved your hesitation problem?
New Opti
34.62%
New or Cleaned Injectors
0%
New Plugs/Wires
23.08%
New O2s
11.54%
Other
42.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

What Solved Your <2000 RPM hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 09:14 AM

Bad EGR pump.
Vacuum lines worn through and leaking.
Loose PCV tube to valve cover.
Dirty IAC.

Those are some of the ones I've seen on people's cars.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

I chose other...

It is my personal opinion that there isn't any one FIX for the 2000 RPM hesitation. When these cars have a problem, whether its the O2's, the EGR, Vaccum leaks, Exhaust leaks or whatever, this is where it shows up. I finally fixed my problem, I think, but it took me a long time to figure it out, and I practically replaced every sensor and valve on the engine.

The best thing to do is to first look over all the vaccum lines, and check for hoses that are cracked or loose. Then check all the connections after the MAF, 'cause if it is leaking air in there then the engine will be running rich.
Next fix any exhaust leaks, because they can contribute to false knock, and THEN start testing/replacing sensors and valves.

If you are throwing a code, then it is more likely to be a sensor or something. but if not, I would bet it is something simple that you are overlooking. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:47 PM

all i had to do is change my spark plug wires.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:28 PM

Re: I finally got rid of mine (ADD alert, long story)

Originally posted by Pinchy
I've been through so much crap trying to rid my car of this problem, it's been a year total. These are the things that I did and they all collectively helped out towards the end result. They are grouped into phases. First phase was the tune up which was coil, coil wire, spark plugs and wires, opti, and ignition module. This made a big improvement but a few weeks later it came back (arrggghhh). Then I tried the PCV valve and then the O2's, this made the largest improvement of all, the car ran well for months. Then it came back again. Each time mind you, the problem felt the same but it really wasn't the same issue so yours could be any one of these. Well I went through a few phases where I was just pissed off with the car and I wanted to get rid of it, but thanks to the crappy market for Camaros I just wouldn't be able to sell it for anything attractive so I kept it. I took it to so many places and wasted my money for them to tell me that it was my cold air induction and other crap like that, just a waste of time. Then I got orders to deploy again so here I am sitting in the desert right now with my wife driving the car that doesn't work all that well. So finally I told my wife to take it over to Formatos fasterproms www.fasterproms.com and he had one of his guys Greg look over the car. He finds the problem immediately and he's sure of it, he replaces the TCC lock-up unit in the tranny and at a great price too. The place is great and the service there is top notch from what my wife tell me. It's good to know that when I'm out here sitting in the sandbox that there is a place that I can trust. The car drives better than it ever did, the wife is happy, life is good. And I was like, Emilioooooooo, hehe.
I took my car over to the GM shop that the Shop Manager is a friend of mine and they are sure it is in the torque converter, I will ask them about the TCC lock up unit. My car has the same lunging stumble thing too and I have done a lot of things and still no fix.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:37 PM

wires,plugs,newopti,!EGR,fuelfiter,spacing the coil off the head
all fixed mine
Old 03-17-2003, 05:53 PM

I tightened all the spark plugs
Old 03-17-2003, 06:01 PM

a new opti

just got finished about 20 mins ago. Changed the opit plugs and wires, 2000 rpm crap is gone...and it runs like a beast now.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:09 PM

NOTHING!
So far I have replaced the plugs, wires(twice! thought it was a burnt wire.) new header gaskets, egr valve, fuel filter and pcv valve. So far no luck! After all of this was installed I now have a light from my o2? Those were replace back in january so I have no clue how its bad now?????? My situation started back in july and I am sick of putting money into nothing. Hopefully someone will figure tis out.

Rich T
Old 03-17-2003, 06:52 PM

Fixing a exaust leak in my pass header, the leak was only present whent he car reached operating temp( metal expansion?), anyways new gasket and tightened em down and the heasitation was gone
Old 03-18-2003, 02:08 AM

more about the TCC lockup

These were my symptoms towards the end that were cured with the above stated fix. The car would seem alright when you floored it but still a lack of power. When you're just cruising around town it would definitely have no power whatsoever and it would lunge forward, and hondas would be flying right by. It was a dog all around basically. Greg at the shop said that the TCC lockup switch was locking the converter at really low RPM's and that was causing terrible gas mileage and no power. When you floor it, the converter unlocks and it seemed alright. I hope this maybe helps out a little in troubleshooting the problem for you guys.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by superkia8
[B]NOTHING!
So far I have replaced the plugs, wires(twice! thought it was a burnt wire.) new header gaskets, egr valve, fuel filter and pcv valve. So far no luck! After all of this was installed I now have a light from my o2? Those were replace back in january so I have no clue how its bad now?????? My situation started back in july and I am sick of putting money into nothing. Hopefully someone will figure tis out.

Why don't you try having the injectors cleaned. Especailly if they haven't been done in a while. They don't have to be removed. If that doesn't do it maybe what they said about the tranny could be it.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:00 AM

mine only stumbles when your going easy on it, if you floor it it responses fine. it also only does it occasionally. i think my opti is going bad, sometimes the car will turn over but not start, try it a few more times and it'll fire right up like nothing was wrong,.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:47 AM

Has anybody who has this problem, used new Taylor or MSDs and routed them over the valve covers?

My LT1 has 265,000 KMS on it, and never really had a persistent stumble, but it did do it. Until I did the OVC MSDs, AND TR6 plugs.

I then drove it to NC to visit family and cruised for a whole day with my Uncle one time there, in 100 degree weather with the AC on, in the city with NO problem what-so-ever.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

A little off topic here

I just noticed you are from Old Town, Maine. I used to live in Kenduskeag when I was younger. lol, small world, huh?
Old 03-18-2003, 09:01 AM

My Hesitation is solved!

new opti, plugs and wires and a new intake manifold gasket fixed it. Can you believe my plugs and wires were originals with 128k on them??? I am so happy to have the car back to the way it should be.