LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help, installed heads backward

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:03 AM

Help, installed heads backward

I screwed up. I installed my heads backward, and now I have engine coolant sensor on the passanger side. I do have enough cord to plug it in on the opposite side, but I don't know if it gonna change anything. Anybody thinks it is safe to go ahead and leave the sensor on the passanger side, or I should take my heads off and my Hooker LT's, and probably get new seals. This is stressing me out, it is another 2 days of work. I don't know what's the right thing to do. Is it gonna ,ake any difference if the engine coolant temperature will be measured on the other side of the car?

Thanks for any help
Tomas

Last edited by tanker; 03-17-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:19 AM

Yeah I would take them off and put them on the right way. BTW how did you hook up the coolant crossover tube that runs on the back of the heads if they are backwards???? As long as you didn't start it up all your gaskets should be fine. HTH

Joe
Old 03-17-2003, 10:31 AM

I guess it is going to be a long night. I didn't hook anything up to the heads yet.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:35 AM

I think I'll save you 2 days work by just telling you that your cylinder head castings are identical, (that is, there is no right or left head, they are cast the same), so all you have to do to fix your "problem" is to drain the engine coolant, unscrew the coolant temp sensor from your passenger side head, unscrew the "plug" that is in the identical hole on your driver's side head, and switch the plug and sensor around. Then you will have the coolant temp sensor right back where it belongs on the driver's side head, and you problem is solved!!!

You're welcome
Old 03-17-2003, 10:35 AM

Just move the sensor to the other side !? aren't the p-side/d-side heads the same. You just need to move the accesories.

EDIT: He posted same time as me.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Aren't the heads identical? There is a sensor between #1 and #2 if you put it on the drivers side, and there is a plugged hole on the passenger side between #6 and #8. Reverse the sensor and the plug. You are going to find out you have the same problem with the steam lines from the back of the heads. If you put the heads on the "other" side, you will have holes in the front and plugs in the back.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Aren't the heads identical? There is a sensor between #1 and #2 if you put it on the drivers side, and there is a plugged hole on the passenger side between #6 and #8. Reverse the sensor and the plug. You are going to find out you have the same problem with the steam lines from the back of the heads. If you put the heads on the "other" side, you will have holes in the front and plugs in the back.
Exactly the point I was reffering to. If he leaves them on there like they are he will have to pull the acessory bracket to plug the hole in the passanger side head. It would just be eaiser for me pull them and put them on with out trying to pull the plugs. Some of the plugs are stubborn and you can strip the inside eaisly if you dont have the correct tool.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:13 PM

But then he would need to buy new head gaskets... which aren't cheap... that's the way my broke *** would have to look at it.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:10 PM

I'm not going to recommend doing it, but Fel Pro headgaskets have been reused multiple times, successfully. I dont blame you for not feeling right about it, nobody wants to do the job twice.

I prefer to put the coolant tube on before putting the heads in the car, it is a huge PITA for me with the oil sendor in back. I cut the tube in the middle and use a rubber hose now as my cross over. Huge convenience help for me, I never undo the cross over anymore, just toss the heads in and voila.

Stock Fel Pro gaskets at my local auto store cost about the same as OEM, about $22 each.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:11 PM

Glad a couple people jumped in here, let me see if I can help.
What I would do:

Doesn't matter what head the coolant sensor is in, and they can be a pain to remove. I'd leave the sensor in the passenger and just extend the single wire going to the sensor.

The pipe fitting can be easily removed and replaced with the air vent tubes in back. If you've put your accessory bracket on you'll need to remove it, given the bracket or the heads, I'd pull the bracket, piece of cake. move the pipe fittings to the front.

We all learn through trial and error, you've just prevented anyone who reads this from doing the same.

Hope this helps,
-Christian
Old 03-17-2003, 01:33 PM

thanks a lot

Thanks for help, can't wait to go to my ca to see it by myself. Haven't even noticed the bracket mismatch, but thanks for warning in advance. I will let you guys know how everything turns out

Old 03-17-2003, 02:06 PM

couple more questions

I have couple more questions guys about the bracket. I don't remember how it suppose to go on. Which plugs do I have to interchange. I have the front engine bracket installed on the front passanger side, and I don't know if I need to take it off. I felt two plugs in the back of each of my heads, but I am not sure what I am doing. If you could guys help me a bit more, I would be very thankful.

Tomas
:bow
Old 03-17-2003, 02:29 PM

Pull the accessory bracket, remove the 3/8" pipe fitting from the rear of the cylinder heads and install them on the front of the cylinder heads where the coolant vent line used to go.

HTH,

-Christian
www.carprogrammer.com
Old 03-17-2003, 03:41 PM

Make sure that when you install your exhaust that the pipes come out of the back of the car, not the front. Couldn't resist.

Actually learned something. It never occured to me that the heads were interchangable.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:58 PM

I think all SBC Heads work on either side of the engine. easily interchanged. a lot less work than retorquing head bolts with the engine in the car.

Quick Reply: Help, installed heads backward