LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What sets Ed Wright (Fastchip) above the others?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 07:13 PM

I'd stay away from Fastchip.
Ed's rep on the dyno is good, but don't try a mail order tune. Here's my story:
First my engine builder called them about my set-up and plans.
They said "no problem, done lots of LT1 cars"
After sending them my box and paper work, they called and told me "sorry we're not familiar with that injector (37lb Racetronics) and can't do your tune"
Then proceeded to FedEx express it back to me for $60.00 on my credit card.
I approved them to charge the shipping, but express?! for$60.00?!
Cost me $80.00 and a week more of frustrating down time before I could fire the car.
It's understandable to not want to do a horrible tune and damage a customer's parts, but we did call first.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:37 PM

Alvin hit the nail on the head..who cares about WOT when your daily driven car is 99.99% of the time not in WOT. If your part throttle/cruise BLMs are all over the place, there's going to be alot of flat spots in your part throttle performance, and most dyno tuners do not even try to tune it there, they only look at WOT hp. And if they do, sometimes the dyno just does not substitute for driving the car around town with actual load on the engine and not simulated dyno roller load, and data scanning/recording what its doing then go back and replay and take notes on where to change VE or MAF tables and change the spark advance depending on the cam and other mods..
Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
I'll have to agree that its a great idea to put a mail order tune on at least a wideband or dyno to double check them out.
No offense to the mail order tuners, but anyone who doesn't check their a/f with a wideband is a total idiot.

Originally Posted by 2QUIK6
..who cares about WOT when your daily driven car is 99.99% of the time not in WOT

Who cares? Maybe the guy(s) who installs several thousand bucks in mods

Last edited by LT4POWR; 11-09-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
Who cares? Maybe the guy(s) who installs several thousand bucks in mods
So if you spend several thousand on mods, why skimp and not tune it right so its a pleasure to drive any way you want and at all positions thru the rpm range/load ?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2QUIK6
So if you spend several thousand on mods, why skimp and not tune it right so its a pleasure to drive any way you want and at all positions thru the rpm range/load ?
That's my point? Care about everything....part-throttle & WOT...get a mail order for (1) a baseline and (2) to make your car driveable to the dyno for a full (part-throttle & WOT) dyno tune.

Last edited by LT4POWR; 11-10-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 PM

All I know is for every SINGLE bad comment about ANY of the guys mentioned in this thread.... there are probably a HUNDRED guys who have had great success. I have done business with Bryan at PCMforless and Ion of madz28 and they both did a good job. Ion was there to pump life back in my PCMs and I got my original tune from Bryan.

But above all that I gotta say... tuning isnt easy. I have my lappy, cable and software and have been doing this same thing to me and a buddies car for a few years now. Mine runs excellent on my tune but I probably have 50 hours in it and maybe 100 flashes... no kidding. Though there are a few things I have done to my car tuning wise that I wouldnt pay somebody to try on their own because Id be afraid of leaning it out to much... there are just those differences that are hard to account for and especially when you deal with aftermarket parts. And believe me with I can click my mouse 10 times and make a tune so beyond F-ed up that a guy couldnt even get his car a block down the road... so you can see how mail order tunes are difficult to get perfect.