LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 11:45 AM

Question What is this?

Whatr is this part called? Isnt it the U joint or yoke? I need the torque specs for it but dont know what its called. I am reffering to the 2 bolts (actually four cause there is two more on the other side) that hold that plate on that keeps the drive shaft connected.

Pic:
http://www.stevenetworks.com/pics/trash/driveshaft.jpg
Old 06-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Administrator

I think the factory might call it the driveshaft retainer or propellor shaft retainer. But its the cap that retains the u-joint. Chilton's shows the torque for those bolts as 16ft-lb.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:18 PM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
thats the u-joint... taking off the driveshaft is a snap... you simply take off those 4 nuts, and jiggle pry and mess with that end for a little while, push it back into the tranny and slide it down, then just pull it out of the back of the transmission, (be careful with the caps on the rearend side of the driveshaft tho, don't want those coming off
Old 06-28-2003, 12:23 PM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
about torque specs...

i never go by em... i don't have a guaged torque wrench... doing my tranny install... all i knew was to tighten everything really tight, without breaking or stripping anything, and that the nuts between the converter and the flexplate had to be as FUGGIN TIGHT as i could get em...

is that bad?
Old 06-28-2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by frmula1
thats the u-joint... taking off the driveshaft is a snap... you simply take off those 4 nuts, and jiggle pry and mess with that end for a little while, push it back into the tranny and slide it down, then just pull it out of the back of the transmission, (be careful with the caps on the rearend side of the driveshaft tho, don't want those coming off
I know how to take it off. Im just finishing a clutch job and couldnt find the torque specs. AQnd I figured I was looking for the wrong name of the part.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:58 PM

Also,

Is anyone else a little concerned about the fact of that little plate holds you drive shaft on? I mean, I rev my car to 6k all the time! Then the load and rpms of doing 100+ mph....dang! My next purchase will be a driveshaft safety loop.