LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

im hard of hearing and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 08:30 AM

im hard of hearing and need advice

As I said above, I am hard of hearing. I need advice about how I should go about with starting up my stroker and what I should look for and what I should try and listen for. Usually my dad is around to help me listen, but hes out on vacation. I would have to say I hear about 75% of the things there are to hear, I dont hear pinging, sqeaking and other high pitched noises. This is the first time ive built an engine completely on my own, let alone a stroker. I had a rebuild book handy with me the whole time I did the rebuild and stuff, it went very smoothly. I am almost done with finishing up the engine and might have it running by late today or mid-day tomorrow. I know I should check all the gauges and look for any leaks of any sort, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2003, 08:43 AM

There is a procedure you need to follow to break in the cam.
It requires the car running for 20 minutes or so, check all your fluid couplings, heater hoses, radiator, power steering(if it was removed) and make sure they aint gonna leak.
I am not good with cam questions and inner engine works, I understand all the stuff, just have not done it on LT1s so I will let someone who does know exactly how to break in the cam tell ya.
But I know it is not just a matter of start it up and let it idle and look for leaks and such.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:02 AM

Why would I need to break the cam in? It is a hydraulic roller, I was told no absolute need to break it in by holding the revs at 2 or 3 grand. I know I need to seat the piston rings, and I know how to do that. Thanks for you help, please keep the info coming, I want to make this engine last and I want to do everything right.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Banned

i suggest you have 2 or 3 people there, hard of hearing or no.

one to turn the motor/start car, another to fill up cooling when the thermo opens, one to watch and listen for stuff...

obviously you can multitask but for my first time i'd definatly want more than 1 person there
Old 06-28-2003, 10:15 AM

Cool

Pay attention to the guages. Crank the car over a few times without the coil wire hooked up to get some oil pumped up in there. Hook up the coil wire and fire away.

Just watch the guages and keep an eye out for leaks or anything. The only noise you should be worried about is a loud clunking, which is metal on metal.

As long as the assembley person knew what they are doing, and used lots of lube, you won't have any problems.

FWIW, although it's a hydraulic system, the lifters still make contact with the cam, and they still form a wear pattern. IMHO, i don't like the saying "drive it hard, thats how it's gonna be drove". I like to make sure everything is seated in and give things time to warm up before romping on it

I'm just north of Lexington near Florence if you need anything

-Shannon
Old 06-28-2003, 01:34 PM

Thank you for your help. Nomad-I believe you for seating things first before tearing it up.