LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Weird electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:08 PM

Weird electrical problems

Alright, I have no idea what is going on now. The I first noticed something was up when I accelerated real hard at night, and the SES light (which is always on due to ORY) got so bright it caused the rest of the warning lights to start to glow. No big deal, I figured, probably just getting some extra power from the acceleration. Then when I stepped on the clutch, the headlights dimmed substantialy. Still not biggie, though. Later that day, I acellerated hard again and the gauges started bouncing all over the place. It started out just ~500 rpm and 5mph, but a few days later it got to where the tach was bouning around from 0-6k as I acellerated real hard. It seems to get worse the harder I acellerate. Now the car has started having more and more trouble starting. It started just sounding a little weak, but over the past few days it has got worse and worse, till this afternoon it just barely turned over. Then this afternoon, I turned on my radio and the rear speakers started playing and the front speakers took another 5 seconds to start working. The voltage gauge seems to be fluctuating a little more than usual, but not by a whole lot. Any idea on where to start looking. (Come on Shoebox! )
Old 02-02-2005, 09:51 PM

Re: Weird electrical problems

First things first... Voltage Regulator... is it working properly? Second.. Whats the voltage of the Battery while you cranking the engine?

Next.... sounds likt a ground wire is loose somewhere.

So in short.. that high intensity brightness sounds like an overvoltage... then the voltage swings dropping considerably after you let out the gas... again sounds like alternator problem. The gages going crazy... sounds like either voltage problem again and then now cranking slowly with some of the speakers coming on slower than others sounds like low voltage..... Check battery and charging system on your car.

Good Luck

Marvin