LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Vortech Aluminum Intake Elbow can you use a air foil with it

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 12:02 AM

Vortech Aluminum Intake Elbow can you use a air foil with it

just bought a Vortech Aluminum Intake Elbow from realquick on this board [great seller by the way ] any ways before i got this off him i had called summit racing and i think they said do not use a air foil with this elbow does anybody no anything about this thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 02:40 AM

The elbow is divided into two chambers by a rather thick piece of metal. An air foil will not fit with that elbow.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:33 AM

You can physically use the two together, but it creates a problem. The divider in the elbow is right in front of the hole in the airfoil where the IAC gets its air. The IAC counts will be maxed out at idle and the idle will be very unstable. It will also want to die when slowing down and coming to a stop. Obviously, the divider blocks the IAC from getting air through the airfoil. So the best thing to do is just remove the airfoil and let your IAC breathe
Old 05-06-2004, 06:50 AM

Re: Vortech Aluminum Intake Elbow can you use a air foil with it

Originally posted by MAGIC Z
just bought a Vortech Aluminum Intake Elbow from realquick on this board [great seller by the way ] any ways before i got this off him i had called summit racing and i think they said do not use a air foil with this elbow does anybody no anything about this thanks
Glad you got the piece ok. Did you get the IAT sensor in yet? I would scrap the airfoil too. Great buyer, and I would do business again. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2004, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by Steve 97Z
You can physically use the two together, but it creates a problem. The divider in the elbow is right in front of the hole in the airfoil where the IAC gets its air. The IAC counts will be maxed out at idle and the idle will be very unstable. It will also want to die when slowing down and coming to a stop. Obviously, the divider blocks the IAC from getting air through the airfoil. So the best thing to do is just remove the airfoil and let your IAC breathe
i have a foil on my 48 and the vortech and i dont have that problem
Old 05-06-2004, 10:37 AM

the reason they say ditch the foil is because vortech has an "air foil" built in to it! I like the trick flow elbow better and you can use the air foil w/ it
Old 04-29-2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Steve 97Z
anyone else verify this? im getting my vortech elbow soon and from what i can tell now is that there will be enough room to run both. will it really hurt my iac counts?
Old 04-29-2005, 05:38 PM

I have the vortech polished elbow and I am using an airfoil just fine. It will fit and i have no issues with any sensors of any kind, running it for 2 years now. But if I could go back I would get the trick flow polished elbow, its just like the vortech but without the divider and is still chrome or satin, also cheaper i think.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by klpps
anyone else verify this? im getting my vortech elbow soon and from what i can tell now is that there will be enough room to run both. will it really hurt my iac counts?
I use one on my car. You can't use the Jet foil. The jet foil sits in the stock boot and does not bolt in. I had to change to a slp foil that bolts on ,when I put my elbow on.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:32 PM

I have the SLP Cold-air setup.. with the vortech elbow. and the Air-foil port matched on my 52mm TB...

No problems at all with it... whatsoever..

The elbow.. was a little LONG... so I just chopped 4-5 inches off it so it would be easier to fit in..... just use a hacksaw...

Go for it.. use what ever elbow you want..

I also had to hone out the IAT sensor hole... so the plastic thing would fit in...

Hope this helps..

--Troy