LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

True Dual Exhaust and using Sweet Thunder Mufflers..

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 10:54 AM

True Dual Exhaust and using Sweet Thunder Mufflers..

I have Jet-Hot LT headers, and I'm looking into a true dual exhaust set up. Now I pretty much know already exactly what I would like done. I want full 2.5 inch and I'm going to run both pipes over the passenger side axle.

My questions are... I would like to use Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers, but where is the best place to put them? And what length? I know the longer it is.. the quiter it will be obviosuly. Is there a way to fit two 24 inch ones side by side before going up and over the axle and still having it retain nice ground clearance?

Let me know what you think.. oh, and would spending the extra time and money on putting one pipe over each side of the axel be worth it in the end? Thanks!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:01 AM

Re: True Dual Exhaust and using Sweet Thunder Mufflers..

This may not be the answer to your question, but why are you ditching the 2OTL? That is a great sounding and performing catback.. If this is going to be your daily driver, I would advise against the true duals. I have them on my car that I usually don't drive except for the weekends, and they are loud as heck and they get old after 10 min of driving... I couldn't stand it on a daily basis, and unfortunately there seems to be no way of making them quiter unless you make them exit at the rear bumpers. Think to yourself, is that 10hp (maybe not even that much) worth the lost ground clearance and all the other annoyances?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro_Maniac63
This may not be the answer to your question, but why are you ditching the 2OTL? That is a great sounding and performing catback.. If this is going to be your daily driver, I would advise against the true duals. I have them on my car that I usually don't drive except for the weekends, and they are loud as heck and they get old after 10 min of driving... I couldn't stand it on a daily basis, and unfortunately there seems to be no way of making them quiter unless you make them exit at the rear bumpers. Think to yourself, is that 10hp (maybe not even that much) worth the lost ground clearance and all the other annoyances?
My original plan was to have my LTs flow back into a single 3 inch, but the exhaust shop BUTCHERED my custom y-pipe TWICE. Don't get me wrong.. I was IN LOVE with the 2OTL, but after my LTs and dual cats in my custom y-pipe.. it is now half as loud! It doesn't have the base and rumble that it used to.

The reason I consider dual exhaust is even though the exhaust shop butchered my y-pipe, everything up to my cats that they did is a perfect set up for true 2.5 inch duals both over the passenger side axel.

I really don't have an idea of what you think is loud though. Loud and intollerable means different things for different people. Have you driven open headers? If you have.. using that as a "standard" how would you compare your duals to it in terms of loud? (i.e. 1/2 as loud, 3/4 as loud etc..) That might give me a rough idea.

Oh.. and I do want them to exit at the rear bumpers.. I'm diffenatly not dumping them before the axle (if thats what you mean)
Old 08-06-2004, 06:02 PM

My true duals have about 1/2 the loudness of open headers. I guess I should made this clear in my first post; the loudness doesn't bother me too much, it is the drone and resonance at lower rpm that gives me headaches. But if you are going all the way back with your true dual setup, then that wouldn't be that much of an issue. Also, you should be able to run real mufflers instead of bullet-style mufflers, which will quite the car down significantly. I remember someone on here (I believe his screenname is "truedualws6") that said the car was as quiet as stock at everything but wide open throttle with his true dual setup with Ultraflow mufflers that goes all the way back.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:21 PM

Here's an idea...

Straight from Sweet-Thunder's web site Scroll down and look for, Camaro Generation VI (exhaust system). A little bit of a different idea yes, but not a bad one. Good luck, and post a sound clip when you're done