LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Trouble codes EGR or tune it out, tune is needed..

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:26 PM

Trouble codes EGR or tune it out, tune is needed..

Hey guys, I have been in the the forums in and out am a student so i have lots to read .. nonetheless i make time to inform myself about my hobby . I have a 96 Z28, can see in my sign the modifications that i have done to it at this point . I am very aware that i need a tune. it seems to me that the car is running rich, I have been ignoring the Check engine light for a while not and well i think its time to get it done. I have added headers and seems to me that I have leaks just before the cats, I will get that taken care of this weekend.

I got these codes: P0133, P0153 ( sensors rich, or too lean, maybe the leaky connection is giving me this) I change the O2 sensors two months ago,

Also i got a p0300, misfire, going to check that aswell, since plugs were change about 3 months ago with ngk nt55r IX,

then i have p0336 ( faulty crank position sensor) ,

p0400 and a p0443 which i believe are due to a bad egr silenoid, I just order that from autozone along with the crank sensor.

So my question is, should i just return the two parts and send my pcm to get tune for all the changes that i have and have them disable my egr system, also i heard of people disabling the crank position sensor aswell.. whats my best option. i really dont need to be emission legal , I will leave egr system on for now, until i get long tube headers. I just want the best value solution. . Remmember am a student and... well can't fork out too much $$$$ i got a job but still does not allow me to live well and let my car be how I would like. N-eways:

Egr silenoid and crank position sensor was 70 dollars ( which i can return)

MADz Tune performance tune is 150.. so technically i need only 80 more dollars to have a tune and get all that other s**t fix instead of 150 plus 70 right?

What's do you guys think is my best option???

I am a Do it YourSelf type of person unless i have no really knowledge such as welding exaust pipes.. etc.. any ideas???

Thank you for all of your help

Last edited by El Eve; 07-31-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

When was the PCM last cleared of codes? Do you have any indication which of these codes are "active" and which ones are "stored"? If you clear the codes, do they all come back, and how quickly?

P0133 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) slow response Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0153 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) slow response Bank 2 Sensor 1
Are these the same codes you had before you replaced the O2 sensors? These are sensor problems, not "rich" or "lean" conditions. Sensors are not responding fast enough to the changes the PCM makes to the A/F mix. Possible the sensors are contaminated. Ever run leaded fuel? Possible you have a blown head gasket with silicon containing coolant leaking into the combustion chambers? Did you get carried away with anti-sieze when you installed the sensors? Is it possible oil leaks have contaminated the outside of the sensor? Did you do any exhaust work using silicon-based (non-sensor safe) RTV?

P0300 - Engine misfire detected
A scan with a scanner capable of reading "GM enhanced" parameters will allow you to see the misfire count by individual cylinder. That might show you if its a "random" problem, or specific to a cylinder or two. Odd to get this code, and the CKP sensor code together, since the PCM can't set misfire codes it there is a CKP code.

P0336 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor circuit performance
Have you tried replacing it? Have you checked the wiring harness? Have you checked for a high voltage wire too close to the CKP wiring harness?

P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system
This is set by lack of EGR flow, not by the sloenoid electrical circuit. Do you still have all the components of the EGR system installed, and are they functioning?

P0443 - Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) purge solenoid control circuit
This is set by the EVAP purge solenoid on the bracket on the pssenger side of the intake. Is it still installed? Connected?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:21 PM

Everything is in there..

Hey there. ok lets start.. well i didnt do the exaust work since i cant weld and the headers were intalled at a shop at the same time that the I pipe was modified.. so i dont think that they used RVT that would damage my sensors... ill go this weekend and have them check what they did and if it is then ill have to get new ones , under their budget.. i got sensors since mine where the original ones ( i think) and after installing the opti and plugs some carbon deposits clog the sensor... so i decided to change them .. now am going to have to do the same and or clean them if possible

the codes came up again but i have not check which were they.. ill do that today and let you know... I never use leaded gas..

But can I get away from the purge valve silenoid and egr flow with a tune... I really dont care for emissions since i dont need to do it. i know that it helps the environment and all but i have no money to fix that ( accesorry) I want my car to look stockish, thats why i leave a lot of components on.. and added the shortie hooker headers with emission...

since my rebuilt i left everything in there so it should be working.. like i mention earlier I would want to keep everthing in there i just dont want my computer to go crazy for emission components... maybe i am just going to have to take it to a shop this time..

Last edited by El Eve; 07-31-2007 at 06:24 PM.