LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Tradin LT1s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 10:09 PM

Tradin LT1s?

Well, ive been wanting to swap to a 6 speed for quite some time now... for all u that know me... and i recently put my car up on a local listing to see if anyone wanted to trade a 6 speed for my auto.... and a guy replied....

he has a 95 firebird formula... i dont know yet if it has T tops, havent seen the car or its condition, he says its fast as hell and loud, but it wont pass smog..... mine wont either, but its only because i need a new cat on the driver side... or at least that was what i was told... his problem could be good, or bad... if it has a cam and headers, its probably not going to smog, but thats good but if there is blowby, or an EGR, or fuel injector or something else... thats very bad.... i dont want a mess to deal with... i just want a 6 speed... anyone think i should make this trade?
Old 10-01-2004, 10:26 PM

Re: Tradin LT1s?

I'd do a very thorough inspection. Most people with M6s don't want to trade for an A4 car. If you have doubts, you should stick with your car and do an M6 swap when you have the time.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:02 AM

I don't know why everyone wants a 6spd. The lack of cheap, decent, reliable hi-po clutches and the inconsistancy in lauching/shifting makes you think twice about is a 6spd all its cracked up to be. Not to mention going through 6 gears gets a little old sometimes.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:14 AM

as for going thru 6 gears? only when racing... i would say 1st, 2nd, 4th, and then 6th if you are on the freeway... thats probably how i would cruise... as for the car itself? im waiting on him to get back to me on it... of course im going to do a thorough inspection, i wanna know all the grubby details of it.... im going to take that on one hell of a rigorous test drive before even thinking of buying it, and as i said, its got to have T tops... if not? the trade is outta the question... i refuse to give up my t tops... id rather do a conversion...
Old 10-02-2004, 09:20 AM

Most 6 speed guys bought the car because it was a 6 speed. The autos are alot more common and easier to find. I personally would be very apprehensive about it, but make sure you check everything out, and if the SES light is on, get it scanned no matter what the guy tells you.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:26 AM

If you're happy with the condition and satisfied with your car as a whole. Just convert it. I'd be apprehensive as well since you dont know too much about the other car and chances are there could be some hidden issues even if you did check it out.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:57 PM

yeah but... my car has hidden issues of its own... it needs brakes and re surfacing all the way around.... it also needs new front suspension bushings.... a new rack and pinion (just a small leak from one of the boots, nothing i even have to add fluid for...) i need a new torque arm... and i need to redo some wireing.... so yeah, if his light is on im going to get it checked... hell ill have my friend come with me.... hes a mechanic, and knows EVERYTHING about LT1s... he built his brothers LT1 M6.... its nice.. but he screwed it up when he put the WS6 hood onto an LT1 camaro ....... *shivers* the hoos looks good... just not on a camaro....