LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 10:30 AM

I don't think I have it b/c I have no problem doing burnouts and what not, but a couple time's i've broken them lose and this "low traction" light comes on and I feel the engine slow down and I'm like wtf... i'm not sure where the **** the button is or how I turned it on/off but I hope it stays off
Old 10-15-2003, 05:22 PM

Ok i will make this clear for everyone

If you wantt o know if you have traction control

open your hood look athe the driver side valve cover, right above it is a ungodly size black box, under the box is a motor with you throttle cable attaced you cant miss it
Old 10-15-2003, 11:53 PM

my car is a 96 trans am 6speed. It too has traction control but no switch to turn it on/off. I used to just pull the relay also, but it would turn off both my traction contrl and my ABS. I now have lt1 edit and turned it off via tuning and reinstalled the relay. I now have no asr/traction control but do have ABS.

Apparently....(not sure if 6sp vs manual....mattered) there was an option to have traction control with or without the ability to turn it off. I have two other LT1 buddies both 96 Trans Ams....one has traction control with a button to activate it(hes an auto). The other guy is a 6speed (like me), has traction control and no button also
Old 10-16-2003, 08:56 AM

I have a 96 Trans Am 6 speed with traction control. It DOES have a button to turn it off. Right in front of the shifter near the lighter.

Does anbody know the part number for the part that SLP sells to reverse it so that it is off by default instead off on? How much does it cost?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Zepp
I have a 96 Trans Am 6 speed with traction control. It DOES have a button to turn it off. Right in front of the shifter near the lighter.

Does anbody know the part number for the part that SLP sells to reverse it so that it is off by default instead off on? How much does it cost?
Its $60. Dont waste your money. I know I'd rather push a button as much as I need than to waste $60 on an item that eptomizes laziness.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:29 PM

I do not mind turning the switch of each time but I hate that darn traction light that comes on and stays on when it is disabled. The switch has a light on it that goes out when it is off. I don't need some annoying light on next to the tach reminding me constantly.

Is there easy access to the bulb for that in the dash. I would like to just remove it.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Zepp
I do not mind turning the switch of each time but I hate that darn traction light that comes on and stays on when it is disabled. The switch has a light on it that goes out when it is off. I don't need some annoying light on next to the tach reminding me constantly.

Is there easy access to the bulb for that in the dash. I would like to just remove it.
Sorry no easy access. Cluster has to come out if you want to have at the bulbs.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by N2OpwrdTA
my car is a 96 trans am 6speed. It too has traction control but no switch to turn it on/off. I used to just pull the relay also, but it would turn off both my traction contrl and my ABS. I now have lt1 edit and turned it off via tuning and reinstalled the relay. I now have no asr/traction control but do have ABS.

Apparently....(not sure if 6sp vs manual....mattered) there was an option to have traction control with or without the ability to turn it off. I have two other LT1 buddies both 96 Trans Ams....one has traction control with a button to activate it(hes an auto). The other guy is a 6speed (like me), has traction control and no button also
If it does truely have the traction control (black box and motor on drivers side valve cover), but not switch, then possibly the motor or dash have been swapped out. Just a thought.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Re: Traction Control

Hi there!

Maybe I should start a new thread for may question, but this one suites it very well.
So I have 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with automatic transmission.
1. I do not have any motor or black box on driver's side of engine bay.
2. I do not have ASR button near the lighter.
3. But I have ASR OFF light on my cluster that is on all the way.
4. I know that ASR works together with ABS system, but the second one isn't working now on my car and ABS INOP light is always on as well.

The question is: how do I know was my car equipped with ASR system from the factory or someone deleted it earlier, before I bought this car?
Erlier I was sure that all V8 cars were ASR equipped, but now I see that it is not true. Does an ASR option has its own RPO code, so I can determine this option for my VIN?

The wikipedia article about 4th gen f-body says:
1994 - There was also a spot in the gauge cluster that says ASR off. GM had every intent to put ASR or Acceleration Slip Regulation (Pontiac called it "TCS") in the 1994 F-bodies, but it never made it into production until 95.
and...
1995 - Traction control became available as an option on LT1 Camaros, but was installed on the base Camaros.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Look at the Service Parts Identification label for RPO code NW9.

No label, go here, pay small fee, enter Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and get a complete list of all the RPO codes for the car, with an explanation of what each code means. Also gives you Vehicle build date.

Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo VIN Decoder
Old 01-16-2018, 02:12 AM

Thank you very much.

I found that I already made this report and saved it on my PC. So I looked in and found no NW9 RPO code there. It is strange that ASR OFF light is on all the way, because I don't think that it was so from the factory. Maybe when my ABS system will be fixed, I hope that ASR OFF light will go off right after the ABS INOP. Also I've just started to worry about my cruise control that is present in that report as an option but I can't remember a module near the left front wheel.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Administrator

The module is bolted to the driver side subframe, near the sway bar mount. The cable runs up on the inner fender, loops around near the firewall, and attaches to the throttle body quadrent.

Courtesy of Shoebox: