LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Thoughts on modifying EXISTING SHORT TUBE headers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 01:41 PM

Thoughts on modifying EXISTING SHORT TUBE headers.

I have some thoughts on modifying my existing headers. I have Hooker short tubes. But I don't see why these suggestions/questions would not apply to any/all short tubes.

Ok first of all I CAN NOT run long tubes. I would love to. But my car is lowered. And not for blingability but because I compete in autox events.

Also I am not a HP or Motor or exhuast Guru.

I have read that Torque numbers and even more importantly the point of peak torque is directly effected by collector length. Torque is a big plus for me. I will trade 50hp for 30lbs of low end torque ANY day.

I am thinking of adding a longer collecter or possibly a 2into1 collector. To increase torque. Plus the overall longer length may help to increase HP. The 2 into 1 would kind of create a Tri-Y header which is what I want.

Or cut the headers halfway before the collector, add 6-8" of larger tubing (my case 1 5/8"-1 3/4") to create a stepped header. And then I think you would still have room for a longer collector and still be much farther from the ground than with long tubes.

For next season the rest of my exhaust will consist of a new stock replacement cat and or a high flow unit a short 12" or so pipe (stock diameter) and an 8" long Shoenfeild race muffler with a turn down. If I lose too much torque or if it is too loud for some locations I will add a vortex cone muffler inside the turn down.

I expect to save about 65lbs compared to my stock cat/Borla exhaust.

Discuss away. Any thing to add especially numbers? It would be great to see numbers from someone who already has done this.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:01 PM

It is true that collecter length effects torque. Sounds you should try having a set of tri-ys built before cutting up your headers.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:18 PM

I wish I could have a set of Tri-Y's built. But the cost would be way more than I am willing to pay.

I want to keep the basic header I have. Y-pipe mods are not a big deal since it has already been cut/welded to fit the Canton road race pan.

I am just really disapointed in the gains from the Hooker shortubes. GMHTP seemed OK with only 16 hp out of Headers AND exhaust!!

Another reason is that my headers are painted so I thought I could do some modifications and them have them coated along with the new exhaust.