LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Those of you with Electric Fuel pressure guages. How to connect to LT1 shrader??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 04:37 AM

Those of you with Electric Fuel pressure guages. How to connect to LT1 shrader??

How did you guys connect your Electric fuel pressure guage? I cant seem to fine a 1/4 flare fitting anywhere that will mate up to an 1/8... What did you guys do?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:20 AM

Re: Those of you with Electric Fuel pressure guages. How to connect to LT1 shrader??

DO NOT permanently hook anything to the schrader valve. It's dangerous. The best way to hook up is inline at the metal lines. Cut and either flare or use compression fittings to put the gage block in. Be ware, compression is not recommended. However I have had great success using compression and don't find anything wrong with them. Then attach the sending unit to the gage block.

Take a piece of the metal line(that you cut out to make room for the gage block) and the gage block with you to Lowes or such and find the proper size fittings to attach them together. Remember that you will still have to run the wires from the gage to the sending unit when you select the location for the gage block.

One other thing, don't cut the return line.

Dave
Old 10-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Re: Those of you with Electric Fuel pressure guages. How to connect to LT1 shrader??

Odd..... there are many people out there running permanent installs on the Schrader valve, for both fuel gauges and as a takeoff for wet nitrous systems. The trick is to avoid putting any loads on it. One way to do that:

Get an NOS 17535 -4AN 90-deg swivel connector. Remove the valve core from the Schrader, and CAREFULLY tighten the NOS fitting onto the Schrader connection. Agreed.... it is fragile, but that's the advantage of the swivel fitting - you can point it in any direction you want, without over-tightening it. The 90-degrees gets the connection pointed away from the cowl, so nothing can hit the cowl when the engine torques.

Then, don't put the gauge sensor directly on the fitting (it won't fit, because the fitting is -4AN female to fit on the Schrader, and -4AN male to allow a hose to be connected). Get a short length of braided S/S hose with a -4AN female on one end, and a 1/8" NPT male on the other. These are available from NOS (24" only) or in various lengths at lower cost on eBay.

Connect the end of the hose to the 1/8" NPT threads of the pressure sensor with a brass coupling, available from any hardware store. Tuck the sensor out of the way, safe from heat and vibration. I put mine behing the PCM when I was using this setup. If you want to attach two devices to the Schrader, simply use a 1/8" NPT "tee" in place of the coupling.

I've recommended this method many times, and never had any negative feedback on the results. I ran it myself for over 5 years, before I changed my fuel setup.

If you are overly concerned about using the Schrader, you could modify the fuel rail, but that's a bit more work:

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...sA/FPRSens.jpg
Old 10-06-2004, 07:44 AM

A lot of us run a short braided line from the scrader over to the top of the intake and securely mount the fuel pressure sender using one of the fuel rail bolts.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:53 AM

I followed Fred's directions (electric fp gauge and wet kit....) and it has worked flawlessly....ofcourse!
Old 10-06-2004, 12:06 PM

SO then it would be possible to simple get the swivel fitting, get the hose and coupler and mount an autometer 0-100 PSI fuel pressure gauge right facing me right outside the windshield??? I would like to have this to

A) look cool
B) actually tell if my fuel pressure is correct when going WOT and normal operation

All together its would be like $20 for the line $9 for the 90 degree swivel, $4 bucks for the coupler and $40 for the autometer gauge and mounting pod. So about $70 too look cool but most importantly see my fuel pressure
Old 10-06-2004, 02:28 PM

does anyone have a pic of this T fitting off the schrader valve for the nitrous and a fuel pressure guage?
where would i find a T fitting like that?
where could i get a fuel pressure guage that i could permanently leave under the hood?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlownF1
A lot of us run a short braided line from the scrader over to the top of the intake and securely mount the fuel pressure sender using one of the fuel rail bolts.
Where did you get the braided line? Is that all you used..
Injuneer: I cant find any of the right size fittings your mentioned or a short hose..
Old 10-06-2004, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Connect the end of the hose to the 1/8" NPT threads of the pressure sensor with a brass coupling, available from any hardware store.
Just re reading this to.. WHy do I need a brass coupling? wouldnt the sensor screw right onto the hose?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:24 PM

Here is what I am thinking of ordering, all from summit

Gauge
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...4925227+300168

Hose (braided)
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...4923437+300140

or copper hose for cheapness
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...4923437+300140

Pimp carbon fiber cup LOL $37
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...4923437+305168

or cheap cup autometer $13 cup
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...4923437+300136

NOS 90 degree Swivel from NOS or JEGS about $10

That would pretty much do it, no? Just mount the gauge, screw into the schrader valve, start the car and look at fuel pressure SHould I use bolt tape or anything to seal the connection between hose and schrader valve?

Last edited by ChrisS95TA; 10-06-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisS95TA
SO then it would be possible to simple get the swivel fitting, get the hose and coupler and mount an autometer 0-100 PSI fuel pressure gauge right facing me right outside the windshield??? I would like to have this to

A) look cool
B) actually tell if my fuel pressure is correct when going WOT and normal operation

All together its would be like $20 for the line $9 for the 90 degree swivel, $4 bucks for the coupler and $40 for the autometer gauge and mounting pod. So about $70 too look cool but most importantly see my fuel pressure
Where are you finding a $40 FP gauge? You need a FP sender for the gauge too...
Old 10-07-2004, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Spinner
Where are you finding a $40 FP gauge? You need a FP sender for the gauge too...
He's getting a mechanical gauge and mounting it outside the car(I think).
Old 10-07-2004, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jeremyferguson
He's getting a mechanical gauge and mounting it outside the car(I think).
Brave dude, except that the TITLE says electric gauge.

Last edited by Spinner; 10-07-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:37 PM

I got my braided line from a local shop that sells Earls parts and makes them on-site. I went straight from the schrader (-an) to a T-adapter (-an) that came with my nitrous kit, and the fuel pressure sender (1/8 npt) screwed into that.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Administrator

To connect 2 devices both fed from the Schrader connection, you go to any good hardware or plumbing supply store, and get a high pressure brass "tee" fitting. This tee will have 3 female 1/8" NPT connections on it. Shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks.

Why get a "coupling"? The hose I described has a 1/8" NPT male fitting on it. The sensor, or a mechanical gauge will TYPICALLY have a male 1/8" NPT thread. You need a "coupling" to connect 2 male threads. If you can make up a hose with a 1/8" NPT female fitting on one end, you could screw the sensor or mechanical fuel gauge directly into the hose fitting.

I have found the braided SS hoses on eBay, in any length you want, with just about any fitting you want on either end. NOS also makes these hoses, as I described. You can get them online at JEG's or Summit, simply by putting in the NOS manufacturer code and the part number. You can get the part number for the hose off the NOS site. The common brass fittings are available in any hardware store, many auto parts stores, etc. This isn't high tech stuff.

Given a choice, I would pick the 2-5/8" inch gauge over the 2-1/16" gauge.... its going to be a lot easier to see looking through the windshield (appears we have had a not so smooth segue to a mechanical rather than electronic gauge????)

Quick Reply: Those of you with Electric Fuel pressure guages. How to connect to LT1 shrader??