LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Switching to mobile 1...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 01:30 PM

Switching to mobile 1...

Guys I'm switching to mobile one or valvoline pure synthetic I think on my next oil change....guys that are running synthetic what do you think? How often do you change it? Any pro's or cons to switching or staying with regular oil?
Old 07-09-2003, 01:36 PM

Synthetic oil does last longer than conventional, but I still change my oil/filter every 3,000 miles to be on the safe side. The only downside switching to synthetic is that since the oil is thinner, you may find some leaks you didn't know you had.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:38 PM

But that is one of the reasons it lubricates better right?
Old 07-09-2003, 02:07 PM

I have been in the specialty, industrial machine business for about 7 years now. I have attended many industrial machine seminars and tool shows. I've seen every synthetic lubricating oil put to the test on several occasions and Royal Purple has always impressed me. I have personally performed friction tests on Mobile 1, Royal Purple, Castrol Syntec.. and others. Royal Purple won hands down.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Will84
I have been in the specialty, industrial machine business for about 7 years now. I have attended many industrial machine seminars and tool shows. I've seen every synthetic lubricating oil put to the test on several occasions and Royal Purple has always impressed me. I have personally performed friction tests on Mobile 1, Royal Purple, Castrol Syntec.. and others. Royal Purple won hands down.

Just my 2 cents.
Cant really seem to find that locally I called like 10 places after I read a thread on royal purple...wtf is going on? why can't I find it?

as for mobile 1, valvoline and castrol synthetics how to they stack up to your standard oil...those I have my pick from...unless I find the royal purple...but going off those three...
Old 07-09-2003, 02:18 PM

Synthetic oil is not thinner. It is just that Mobil 1 is formulated on the thinner side of a 30wt, it's almost a 5w20/10w20. Synthetics like Redline and Amsoil are on the thicker side of the 30wt scale.

An engine in good shape won't leak when you switch to synthetics. In the early days of Mobil 1 it would leak a lot, for two reasons. One, it was originally only available in 5w20, and two, it was using an all PAO base oil. This tended to shrink the seals, causing massive leaks. Now they use a base oil which is blended with PAOs and esters. The esters have a tendancy to swell the seals, so by blending the two base oils in the right mixture, this keeps the seals from shrinking or swelling.

There is no need to change the oil every 3k when using synthetics, you're not extending the life of your engine any more than the guy who does it every 5-6k. Oil analysis results have shown that the level of engine wear does not automatically go up as the oil reaches beyond the 3k mark. The level of engine wear in ppm per 1000 miles stays pretty constant right up to and beyond the 6k mark in most engines. I wouldn't recommend going beyond 6k unless you're doing oil analysis, so without it, go with a 5 or 6k interval and your engine will last longer than you'll probably keep your car. There are many people out there who have put well over 200k on their cars using synthetic oil and have done much longer than 3k intervals. Many Amsoil users for instance, go well over 10k on their oil, and through oil analysis have found their safety zone.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by IrocManiac
Cant really seem to find that locally I called like 10 places after I read a thread on royal purple...wtf is going on? why can't I find it?

as for mobile 1, valvoline and castrol synthetics how to they stack up to your standard oil...those I have my pick from...unless I find the royal purple...but going off those three...
You used to be able to buy Royal Purple directly from Summit. I did a search on their website though and couldn't find it. You can go to www.royalpurple.com and click on "automotive" to find a local dealer.

I'm not saying Mobile 1, Valvoline, Castrol..etc. are bad compared to regular motor oil.... they are excellent. I have just been really impressed with Royal Purple.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:23 PM

Here you go IrocManiac:

http://www.royalpurple.com/dealers/t...rs.shtml#Altus
Old 07-09-2003, 02:28 PM

I noticed a slight leak in my car and put some type of sealer in and it seemed to do the trick. I wanna synthetic but dont want the leak to return will Royal Purple or Amsoil shrink the seals? Also I know where to find Royal Purple (Paceparts.com Thunderracing.com) but where can I find amsoil?
Old 07-09-2003, 02:36 PM

I don't really know about RP or Amsoil shrinking the seals. I can tell you that we've used RP industrial products in machines that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.. and if it's trusted there... I trust it in my car.

Do a search on Amsoil. I looked on MSN search and came up with a ton of dealer websites.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:47 PM

Royal Purple is also available at NAPA. I believe they sell it for only about $3.99 there last I heard.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:51 PM

Thansk for the replies guys...anyone else?