36.36%
rear Twin Turbo kit
18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Stroker + charger or solo charger? Need expirenced People

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 06:32 AM

Stroker + charger or solo charger? Need expirenced People

I've been trying to research how much the lt1 block can take such as far as power, am I able to 383 stroke it with a 30lb supercharger w/o blowing it sky high or should i just stick to a supercharger of 30-40lbs? I've heared of the rear Twin Turbo kits but i dont know much about the rear ones, or how good they are even. If some of you could enlighten me which would be the best route to go and get the most power out of it without killing it i would be greatful. (rather ask then try to find out myself and messin something up lol)
Old 05-14-2005, 07:01 AM

Re: Stroker + charger or solo charger? Need expirenced People

as far as I know 30lbs of boost would be fatal on an lt1 block . Im not the expert tho. Ive been checking around to see what my setup can take and Ive heard from 4-7psi max lol
Old 05-14-2005, 07:32 AM

Don't even think about a 30-40lb boost motor unless you are prepared to spend at least $35,000 on the whole package. And it couldn't be made to run on pump gas with that kind of boost. The way you have posed the question really doesn't make much sense anyway. A motor built for boost will cost about the same for a stock stroke or if a stroker crank is used. There is very little reason not to get the extra displacement of a 3.75" stroke (nominal 383). With a stroke longer than 3.75" there are some issues with adequate piston compression height though. That's why most blown strokers use a 3.75" crank.

Rich
Old 05-14-2005, 10:23 AM

There is no rear mount twin turbo, and you're not going to make 30-40lbs of boost unless you're installing a cummins/powerstroke. No offense, but it sounds like you're pretty green. Stick around and do some searching.

Ryan
Old 05-14-2005, 10:53 AM

Exclamation Re: Stroker + charger or solo charger? Need expirenced People

Step away from the Import Tuner magazine

The most power achievable and the most power you can afford are most often quite different. You need well defined goals and an honest evaluation of what it is you can afford to put together.

-Mindgame
Old 05-14-2005, 12:22 PM

i think top fuel dragsters run close to 40psi on a 509ci and make 7500hp. And a turn key motor only cost $55000 Good alternative though.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:26 PM

maybe he is talking about the actual weight of the unit? As in mass*accelleration weight? Those import tuners are always worried about how much something weighs, thats why those electric superchargers are such a good alternative.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:46 PM

In response to 96 Speed's post:

STS is doing rear mount twin kits. The UFBA President had her husband's 2005 Mustang done by them. Check out the links:

http://www.kickinrad.us/images/pamstang/fullshot.jpg
http://www.kickinrad.us/images/pamstang/engineshot.jpg
http://www.kickinrad.us/images/pamstang/rearturbos.jpg

MAx horsepower was 446 and max torque was 483 on a Dynojet at Dr. Gas in Sandy, Utah. I'm not sure whwere they are with developing one for the F-body, but I assume it can be done just as easily.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought this information was pertinent.

Last edited by SiCk PuPpY; 05-14-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:39 PM

Such as far as imports i'm not into them, this is the first car i bought, had it for going on two years. I'm sticking around and doing research thats why i'm asking about it, and how much the block can handle. Such as far as the rear twin turbo kit I knew it exisited just didnt know anything about it so thanks sick_puppy for that info (wasn't hijackin the thread either lol), was rather quite interesting. I'm looking for how to produce the most power that the engine can safely take which is why i'm asking around cuz i have no idea lol

Beyonce Knowles sounds like you could be up for a little friendly comp the way your talking :P I can drive my car well now I'm learning the tech part of it. Sorry no rice to bust here. What you got for a car anyway jw.

On a second note, does anyone think they know how much hp this engine can handle (kinda the same thing as stated above but thought to make it a seperate question)
Old 05-14-2005, 10:10 PM

There is no absolute limit. As the power output goes up, more and more exotic and expensive stuff is neeeded. Eventually you reach a point where you run out of money or reach a plateau where any significant power gain makes the whole thing unusable due to the high levels of breakage encountered and maintainence required. But everyone has a different tolerance and deeper or shallower pockets. To answer your question, you first have to define how much you want to spend and then provide some idea of how reliable you want it to be, if you plan to run pump gas, etc. When you start talking about extrmemly high horsepower cars, you have to budget 2.5-3X the cost of the motor itself when you consider everything else that will be needed. It gets expensive fast.

There is no magic number anyone can give you. The answer is "it depends". In my own case, a high performance street car has to run on pump gas and be able to run at least 10,000 miles between major maintainence (that's about 2 years of use for me). That translates into 900-1,000hp and a good chunk of change.

Rich
Old 05-15-2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
There is no absolute limit. As the power output goes up, more and more exotic and expensive stuff is neeeded. Eventually you reach a point where you run out of money or reach a plateau where any significant power gain makes the whole thing unusable due to the high levels of breakage encountered and maintainence required. But everyone has a different tolerance and deeper or shallower pockets. To answer your question, you first have to define how much you want to spend and then provide some idea of how reliable you want it to be, if you plan to run pump gas, etc. When you start talking about extrmemly high horsepower cars, you have to budget 2.5-3X the cost of the motor itself when you consider everything else that will be needed. It gets expensive fast.

There is no magic number anyone can give you. The answer is "it depends". In my own case, a high performance street car has to run on pump gas and be able to run at least 10,000 miles between major maintainence (that's about 2 years of use for me). That translates into 900-1,000hp and a good chunk of change.

Rich
Thats about what I mean and am looking for. The place I've been buying some of my bolt ons from already has been summit racing. Is there any suggustions for other places that you would reccomend? And knowing that this is what i'm trying to achive how would I go about finding out which stuff I would want such as far as cams, headers ect. I heard that the lt4 conversion kit wasnt worth the money, any input on that? Any other advice you can give me would be great thanks
Want to run it on pump gas (dont have to but its a preference)
With 1000 or 1000+hp
Cash I can work with in my situation (not a rich kid or anything just dont have hardly any bills)
And 10k mi between maintainence
Old 05-15-2005, 08:21 PM

The thing needs to be thought of as a "package" and not an isolated collection of parts. There are some "recipes" for combos in the 700-800rwhp range (which translates into 900-100hp). There are people who can help, but they don't come cheap. I think you are likely underestimating the costs involved. Remember what I said about needing up to 2-3X the cost of just the motor when considering the total costs. Here's a rough budget for the components that would go into a high-po LT1. Keep in mind another $2,500-5,000 for someone to bolt it all together and it if you can't do this yourself.

shortblock - $5K
heads - $3K
blower system - $4K
fuel system/engine management - $3K-$5K+ depending on what is selected
valvetrain - $1K
drivetrain/tranny - $3-$7K+ depending where you start and what you want
chassis/brake upgrades - $2-$5K depending
miscellaneous - $1-$2K

Somewhere around $30K

Rich
Old 05-15-2005, 08:58 PM

Do you want the car to be street, strip, or both? What year of LT1? What bolt-ons do you currently have?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:24 AM

What you mean 3k-5k for shortblock? i take it you mean the actual engine block? or you mean pistons and block or just componets?
yes i realize those prices and such the question is for products and such of that sort.

To answer RPM
Both, 96 z28 intake, short throw kit, underdrive pully system & exhaust comin shortly
Old 05-16-2005, 05:32 AM

I am talking about what is needed for a 700+rwhp car. Shortblock = block and rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons). It will cost at least $1,000 for the block itself when you include machining, and buying and installing billet 4-bolt main caps. Then you need a rotating assembly that will cost close to $3,000 when you include rings and balancing. Then you have to put it together, which includes bearings and gaskets, for another $500 or so. That's where the round number of $5,000 comes in.

The reason I am talking so much about cost rather than parts, etc. is that I am trying to educate you to be more realistic. I doubt you really are planning to spend what it takes to have 900-1,000hp once you get a better grasp of what is involved. If you really want a car that powerful, you would be (far) better off buying one that is already built up and going through it to make sure it's right.

Rich

Quick Reply: Stroker + charger or solo charger? Need expirenced People