LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

strange electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:35 PM

strange electrical problem

when i turn the key to ACCY none of the ACCY stuff comes on.. i have to actually turn it all the way to on and then i will hear the fuel pump and stuff.. the only thing that does anything on accy is my shiftlight will blink.. this is weird because normally my waterpump, fans and fuel pump all turn on (fuel pump cycles).. the ground came disconnected from the coil last nite at the track and ever since ive been having the problem.. i reconnected the ground and sitll have the trouble.. the car doesnt even run.. sometimes it will just keep turning but not firing over. then othertimes it will fire over and then immediatly after everything will go dark and it will shut off... sometimes if it fires when im giving it gas it will shoot up to high rpms and then shut off before the tach needle even has time to go back down and it will be stuck til i turn the key off... anyone had similar problmes? im thinking maybe icm??... before all this i was having low voltage problems and sometimes would start on only 7 cylinders for about 30 seconds then the 8th would fire.. i think that was cuz the fuel pump is going bad... maybe the fuelpump completely took a ****? any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-31-2005, 12:57 PM

Re: strange electrical problem

If you are having troulbe with the right things coming on in different postiions of the key, I would suspect the ignition switch. There is a guide for replacement on my Tech Page.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:42 PM

thanks for the info... is there any way to test to make sure this is what it really is before i go rip the column out? also is there any way to do this without taking the column out?

by the way shoebox i am a HUGE fan of your site and it has helped me out many a time thanks so much!!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:34 PM

well the part is only 11 bucks so i guess i might as well... do you think this could have any bearing on the fuel pump voltage?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:51 PM

$11 seems a bit cheap for a switch. You can play with the switch before removing the column. There is just not a lot of room.
I don't see it affecting fp voltage, as it is relay controlled. The relay would be operated or non-operated.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:11 PM

well i dont think its the switch... i put the key in the run position and wiggled it a little and the accessories came on... turned it over and then brought it back to run to the same place where it all came on and the car ran... now the problem i have is that under any acceleration the car feels like one of the plug wires is off or something... i think a plug is touching aheader ill address it tomorrow
Old 04-01-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by formula69
well i dont think its the switch... i put the key in the run position and wiggled it a little and the accessories came on... turned it over and then brought it back to run to the same place where it all came on and the car ran... now the problem i have is that under any acceleration the car feels like one of the plug wires is off or something... i think a plug is touching aheader ill address it tomorrow

IMO, it still sounds like a switch problem (not the rough running part). Time will tell, I guess.