LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Starting problems and low coolant sensor = electrical problems???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:47 PM

Starting problems and low coolant sensor = electrical problems???

Been having some weird probs since last friday and not sure if they are all related or just coincidence.

Friday = low coolant sensor on. checked rad and overflow, both 100% fine. light didnt come back on all weekend

Sat & Sun = when i went to turn "on" the car, but not crank it over, power would be delayed when coming on, so i wouldnt even be able to try and crank it over as nothing turned on until 3-5 seconds after the key was in the on position. Actually once, i even had to turn the key back to the off position, then on, and then it would work.

Yesterday - after work, went to start up car, would crank, but not turn over. held it for like 5 secs or more. but as soon as i turned the key off, then back on and tried to crank it, it turned over right away.

Not sure if all these probs are something common in the electrical that is going, like a bad ground or something. Or maybe the coolant this is just coincidence with the startup issue.

Now low coolant light came back on for a second time today. gonna get a new low coolant sensor just to eliminate the possibility of a fouled sensor as i have experienced this before in my last camaro.

Anybody else experiened these same issues at once before, or at least the starting probs?

i thought about the VATS system for startup, as i also experienced this before on another car, but then i'd have a security light, or be locked out for 3 mins right.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:50 AM

UPDATE:
So far no starting probs since my original post.......weird.....
not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Would still like to get to the bottom of it, if possible. Anyone ever experienced something like this before???

Also, coolant light is still on once in awhile. So definitely gotta drain some coolant and pull the sensor and clean it this w/e. If that doesnt work i'll buy a new one.

Meant to say in the original post too that the starting issues were random and not every time.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:52 AM

I'm not too sure if this could be it, but have you checked your connections to your battery? If things aren't getting enough voltage, weird things can happen. I have had something similar happen when I wasn't getting a good connection at the battery.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:43 AM

It sounds like the start switch on the base of the steering column is going bad. Common problem for an older one....
Old 07-19-2007, 01:44 PM

RedRyder518:
Well, the battery gets disconnected and reconnected (pretty snug) every year when the car goes in and out of winter storage. So i kinda doubt its that, but i will check to be 100% sure.

VintageMuscle:
Are you referring to the ignition switch as seen on shoebox's website:
http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html
Just want to clarify.

Sounds like that might be the culprit......
Old 07-19-2007, 05:18 PM

The coolant light issue is a common problem on these cars. I've seen it on just about every one. Instead of paying for the part to fix it I just unplugged it at the radiator and put in a diode since I have ton of them. It'll get rid of the light but you won't know if your coolant is actually low. If it doesn't work the first time just turn the diode around and it'll work.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tekprodave
The coolant light issue is a common problem on these cars.
Ya, unfortunately i know this through experience with my 95 Z that i had.

i think i was just worried at first cause it happened at the same time as the starting problem, so i thought i had some sort of electrical prob. But i think it was just coincidence.

I'm gonna pull the sensor and clean it tho and if that doesnt work, replace it as i do want to retain the feature of knowing if coolant is actually low.