LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Starter "starting" without ignition...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:25 PM

Starter "starting" without ignition...

Just throw out some opinions on why you think this is going on. I don't have much more time to mess with it today.

Just hooked the starter back up (two wires right, big positive, and little ground). Got all of the sensors hooked back up from the tune-up/header install, was hooking the battery back up and once the negative side of tghe battery made a full circuit the starter (or something in that area) started jumping. Sounded like the starter was kicking out on the flywheel? The keys are out, no ignition turned over. It's not like the starter's hard to install. It freaked me out. Needless to say I just unhooked the battery and will get back to the car on Friday...

I did spray some CRC Lectra-Motive on the starter to clean it about 15-20 minutes before I put it back in. You don't think that had anything to do with it do ya? Anyway, throw out some suggestions.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:50 PM

Re: Starter "starting" without ignition...

You have some wires crossed, or a couple of them are touching that shouldnt be. Double check the wires at the starter and make sure everything is correct. 99% this is your problem.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:52 PM

Thanks, a buddy of mine at school said it was the ground not being completely grounded...

I was sure it was the wires cause I just kinda slapped the starter on there trying to get the car started so I could hear it before I had class tonight . So, maybe I can get everything hooked up correctly before I leave for 2 weeks on Sat. for military duty.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by SentimentalValue
(two wires right, big positive, and little ground).
The little wire as you put it, is not ground. The fact that it is going to an insulated terminal should have been a tip off. It is the starter engagement that comes from the TD relay. With all power off, be sure that little purple wire is not going to ground and does not have 12 volts on it either.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:27 AM

I had this exact thing happen to me. On the starter you have two wires (solenoid wire and battery cable) going into the starter solenoid and they both have pretty good size flat ring terminals, If they are too close together they will arc and cause this to happen. In fact, a couple of the times I tried to hook the battery up it started turning over lol. It made me think I had messed up putting in my MSD ignition lol. I just ended up making sure that the two wires came from opposite sides to keep them as far away as possible. Simple as that, just spread them apart. It seems stupid but it had me stumped for about an hour.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
The little wire as you put it, is not ground. The fact that it is going to an insulated terminal should have been a tip off. It is the starter engagement that comes from the TD relay. With all power off, be sure that little purple wire is not going to ground and does not have 12 volts on it either.
Sorry, I don't know much about grounds or electrical systems for that matter. The wires haven't been touched with the acception of being removed from the starter to get it out of the way so the wire shouldn't be grounded. I'll bout guarentee they're touching in some way because I put the wires on the starter with the starter on the block, so I was working blind.

Thanks for all the replies.