LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Spark plug hole, issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:05 PM

Spark plug hole, issues.....

Ok, I couldnt get my spark plug to thread in right on hole #1. I think it cross threaded and I ended up just kinda forcing it in. It was probably 5 times harder to turn on the way in then any of the others, so it musta been cross threading it as I was wrenching it in. I am needing to change spark plugs and go with Ngk TR-6 instead of 55, because I am gonna be installing my NX kit in a few weeks. My question is, when I take that spark plug out, will the hole threads be all mangled and too jacked up to accept another plug, or is it possible the threads will be good enough to take my new spark plug? I really might rethink even installing the Nitrous if I won't be able to reinstall the new spark plug.....cause I dont know if I even wanna go through having to helicoil the hole and possibly having to pull the heads to do it. Please help me out if you have any experience or know how, thanks.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 AM

Re: Spark plug hole, issues.....

Anyone? Was I not clear enough what the problem is? let me know if I wasn't. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:49 AM

Same problem happened to me when I installed my headers. Two of the header bolts on the passenger side cross-threaded, and I had to "force" them in. Since then I have taken one of them and put it back in a couple of times, each time I have to force it in and it goes in crooked. I beleive you will be able to take it out force it back in since the metal is the same around the spark plug holes and the header bolts, but I'm not sure if I recommend it. Because of the location of the holes on the passenger side the only way I could get access to them would be to pull the head. Since you said cylinder 1 I beleive I would first look into getting the hole re-tapped. Since you would be running nitrous I don't know how safe it would be if one of the plugs was crooked or not in all the way. Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:43 PM

DAMN, thats gotta suck, good luck on the fix
Old 05-06-2005, 01:21 PM

Try a "thread chaser" to get the threads straightened out. If you really boogered the threads where you you can't tighten the plugs sufficiently to keep them from coming out, then I guess you will need to use a helicoil.

Had this happen to an old Mercury Outboard one time and the helicoil work just fine. JMHO