LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Something is very wrong

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Something is very wrong

I now now my car is runing very rich because of some tears in my intake elbow and I think a bad fuel pressure regulator (have an adjustable going in).
It has a new driverside O2 sensor and when th eheaders go in the passenger side will be new also.
When it threw the code it was left bank and the O2 did not fix it.

When it comes to computer/fuel.engine mods its got.

MadZ tune, MSD wires, TR-6 plugs, Racetronix fuel pump, used REALLY good fuel injector cleaner.

One buddy said its the plugs and is causing the car to run rich and it will not stop untill I spray (next season). I have seen a lot of guys run TR-6's and only spray like once a month with no problem and I change my plugs less than every 6k miles.

At idle you can stand behined the car and smell fuel.

On to low of tire pressure and the racetronix booster harness not hooked up it ran a best of 13.8@100 with a 2.2 60 on street tires (keep in mine the car has a lot of bolt ons, geard ect ect).

A buddy of mine who has a cat back and 6 speed LT1 Z went out and ran 13.7@101 and I walk him. I even will give him a head start and walk him so I know part of it was tire pressure with mine being at like 18 and his at the typical street pressure.

Another buddy went 14.3 in his formula the other day and I walk him in a third gear pull.... but I also have 3.42's and he has a 2.73. From a dead stop its far worse lol.

It now also throws two codes, left and right bank to rich.....

I took a buddy on here for a spin who has a ported heads/cam, full "power" bolt on 6 speed LT1 Z with the same gearing I have and he said that it feels like my car pulls hader then his and I have cats and stock mainfolds... he does not.

We are both thinking that with it runing this rich that its REALLY holding the car back and it feels like its being held back.

Think it could be that elbow with it being torn up and a bad regulator? Maybe the fuel pump is to much for the stock regulator???

Hope to get it fixed and shoot for 11's next year with a few more goodies... along with the bottle and pro stars/stickies that I have.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:50 PM

Re: Something is very wrong

have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge? test that before you replace anything. also, it's likely an 02 sensor....since that's the code thrown....and since they do go bad. i'd replace those before i replaced regulator.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Is there a tech question in there somewhere, or are you just telling us how great the car "pulls" in spite of the known problems and not taking the time to adjust the tire pressure correctly or hook up the fuel pump correctly?

If you KNOW you have problems like a faulty fuel pressure regulator, and a torn intake bellows, why not verify the problem (e.g. - test fuel pressure, as suggested above) and fix them (e.g. - even duct tape on the bellows would be better than running it with tears). Faulty fuel pressure and bad MAF readings as a result of the air bypassing through leaks in the inlet bellows will totally screw with the PCM's long term fuel corrections, and can cause it to set codes for the O2 sensors. Replacing the O2 sensors in those cases won't fix anything. As far as the codes, give us the actual numbers.

Don't pay attention to advice like "One buddy said its the plugs and is causing the car to run rich and it will not stop untill I spray (next season). ".... makes no sense at all. Stuff like that isn't helping you.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:20 PM

Yeah there is a tech question in there..... you tried answering them......

I got the regulator because I got a killer deal on it. It will be placed regardless.

O2 sensor was chanced out like 1,300 miles ago.

Im planing on just replacing the elbow. Duct tape would not help it. Its beyond that. I only drive the car roughly 1000 miles a year and its put up for the winter so it does not need a temporary fix.

Good idea on the fuel pressure regulator even though I plan on replacing it.

I did not pay attention to what my buddy says by saying this commet " I have seen a lot of guys run TR-6's and only spray like once a month with no problem and I change my plugs less than every 6k miles."

Guess I should have gone into more detail on why I did not trust what he said...