LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Smoke when first started!!!Why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:37 AM

Smoke when first started!!!Why?

Just recently when I first start my Z it smokes a little out the pipes. Just wondering if anyone could help me figure it out. It's kinda white greyish but goes away after a bit. Also, I noticed the othe night a little blue flash under the hood around the plugs an the driverside not alot but it was there.It's really not missing or anything but it kinda feels like a small powerloss somewhere, just not as strong for some reason. I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to cars so any info would be helpful, I just hope my baby's not starting to die slowly... Sorry so long but just kinda worried..
Old 02-03-2003, 09:10 AM

I think grey/white is fuel.

Probably goes away after the cat heats up.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:13 AM

If you are experiencing a power loss, it is probably time for plugs and wires. Flashes usually indicate spark leakage. A steady blue corona around the plug is somewhat normal. You did not provide any info about maintenance or miles on your car, so kinda hard to tell anything further.

A little white condensation burn off in the morning is normal, as long as it goes away after the car warms up. Steady white smoke after warm up could mean coolant is getting into the combustion chambers. The exhaust would smell funny and be accompanied by loss of coolant in the radiator.
Don't confuse this with vapor you see when it is really cold out. Just like your breath, the exhaust will put out wisps all the time when the outside temp is real low.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:32 AM

Sorry about the lack of info. The car has 112,000 miles, the plugs, wires, coil, new waterpump, 160 thermo, headers, and programmer was all done at the same time about 3 months ago, i also had a oil leak fixed on the intake. When i got the car back it was running awesome and still runs good. It just feels like a little less power of late. I don't know maybe i'm trippin, anyway thanks for your guys info, always helpful.Oh also i smell a little fuel lately could it be running rich, and would that make it have a little power loss that's noticeable?