LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

smells like a caramel inside...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 08:00 PM

smells like a caramel inside...

my car smells like a caramel inside when the engine is hot....i heard this is one of the symptoms of a blown head gasket, but there's no smoke coming out from my exhaust, my oil has no coolant, my coolant has no oil.....so what's the problem?? why my car is smelling like this....if i push my car to WOT a couple of times or if the engine temperature is getting hot, then it's starting to smell.....i think the smell started, after i get my tranny rebuild.....can anyone help please??
Old 02-17-2003, 08:38 PM

I dont know anything that smells like caramel, but I might ask, is your window fogging up recently? Smell around the passenger floor board area, if you have it concentrated in that area your heater box is going. Mine gave me about 2 weeks warning until it emptied out onto the floor.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Mudge
I dont know anything that smells like caramel, but I might ask, is your window fogging up recently? Smell around the passenger floor board area, if you have it concentrated in that area your heater box is going. Mine gave me about 2 weeks warning until it emptied out onto the floor.
yeahh, i think it's coming from the passenger side...and window? which window? the only window that's fogging up is the windshield window....is my heater box going to die? how much does it cost to replace it?btw thanks a lot
Old 02-17-2003, 09:09 PM

ttt 4 me
Old 02-17-2003, 09:54 PM

anyone else can help me please?
Old 02-17-2003, 10:37 PM

its your heater core
it's a bitch to replace
Old 02-17-2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Blue89Bird
its your heater core
it's a bitch to replace
will it do some engine damage?? will i lose power?? and how much does it cost to replace??
Old 02-17-2003, 11:42 PM

when it finally craps out its gonna spew coolant into your car where the passengers feet will be.

If you pay a dealer its probably 250-350.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:33 AM

damn....this is the last thing that i want....i'll call my local radiator shop, i think they'll be able to do it
Old 02-18-2003, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by TMDZ28
yeahh, i think it's coming from the passenger side...and window? which window? the only window that's fogging up is the windshield window....is my heater box going to die? how much does it cost to replace it?btw thanks a lot
They are $119 I think, from Jason Cromer. Yes its your heater box, its under the windshield area on the passenger side, so it will fog up your windows when it gets bad.

You will lose cooling ability, and you will toast the engine or at minimum your heads if you drive around in the red.

So, until you can get a heater box, get 2 hose clamps and 2 big bolts at Home Depot, and plug those heater core lines. Get under the hood and look on the firewall on the passenger side, I've been running this way for over 2 years because I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

If your planning on all those mods in your sig, I think you better learn to work on the car yourself, or you are going to be one very, broke person. Just a suggestion

You CAN do it yourself.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:32 AM

do a search on heater cores. I've read a few threads where some guys say it is not that bad to change these out. So far, all I have had to do was flush mine. The write up on it in the Haynes manual seems to do a pretty good job explaining it. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:50 PM

i'll try to do it as soon as possible......

So, until you can get a heater box, get 2 hose clamps and 2 big bolts at Home Depot, and plug those heater core lines. Get under the hood and look on the firewall on the passenger side, I've been running this way for over 2 years because I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet (Dr.Mudge) what is there to plug?? if there website that can give me a directions??
Old 02-18-2003, 05:52 PM

You would be plugging two rubber hoses that go into the heater core, you will know it by looking at it, its a big black box on the firewall, passenger side.

I would guess a 1/2" and 5/8" but I dont recall, they are pretty hefty bolts. If you dump coolant on the floor like I did, you have maybe 2-3 minutes to get to where you are going, or get out and walk, depending of course on weather in your area etc but the engine will heat up quite readily even in the cold, without coolant.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:47 PM

You would be plugging two rubber hoses that go into the heater core, you will know it by looking at it, its a big black box on the firewall, passenger side.

I would guess a 1/2" and 5/8" but I dont recall, they are pretty hefty bolts. If you dump coolant on the floor like I did, you have maybe 2-3 minutes to get to where you are going, or get out and walk, depending of course on weather in your area etc but the engine will heat up quite readily even in the cold, without coolant.
thanks man, but the thing is, my coolant level is not low...i open my rad. cap often, and it is always full....but, i'll do it this weekend...i rarely drive my Z since i drive my GF civic now...really good on gas
Old 02-18-2003, 07:06 PM

You will lose cooling ability, and you will toast the engine or at minimum your heads if you drive around in the red.

my temp gauge never reach red line, and i think my coolant ability has decrease a little bit......i just called a local shop that replace my rad. and he said he would give me a new one labor include and a lifetime warranty for $180...is this sounds like a good deal??

Quick Reply: smells like a caramel inside...