LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

shoebox, injuneer, i need some help before i throw in th towel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 04:48 PM

Unhappy shoebox, injuneer, i need some help before i throw in th towel

well i just had a new motor installed with the hot cam, ported heads, longtubes, and all the bolt ons. i picked it up and drove it for the first time in 7 LONG AGONIZING MONTHS. well it ran great when i picked it up, but in a matter of 8 to 9 hours the car is running like s****, missing like there is no tomorrow, won't idle, will start but will quickly die in a matter of 1-2 seconds. i was thinking that the car sat for 7 long months with only about a gallon or less of gas. there is a pretty strong smell of gas when i get out of the car but i thought it might be bc of the new cam, not emissions compliant. it also seems like i wnt through about 2 gallons of gas like nothing. i think whatts causing my problem is when it sat it developed crap in the gas tank and clogged my fuel filter. what kind of additive can i put in my tank to get rid of that crap. do u guys think this could be my problem? i really and hope not its not the opti, it has about 3000 miles on it, brand new plugs, wires, etc. what could my problem be?i have the codes p0135 which i am currently changing the o2s and p0336 the crank sensor, which i leared has no effect on drivability but just senses crank vibrations. its been tuned by madwolf and i have no other ideas.

thanks in advance
justin
Old 07-21-2004, 04:49 PM

Re: shoebox, injuneer, i need some help before i throw in th towel

Originally Posted by MonkeyManZ28
well i just had a new motor installed with the hot cam, ported heads, longtubes, and all the bolt ons. i picked it up and drove it for the first time in 7 LONG AGONIZING MONTHS. well it ran great when i picked it up, but in a matter of 8 to 9 hours the car is running like s****, missing like there is no tomorrow, won't idle, will start but will quickly die in a matter of 1-2 seconds. i was thinking that the car sat for 7 long months with only about a gallon or less of gas. there is a pretty strong smell of gas when i get out of the car but i thought it might be bc of the new cam, not emissions compliant. it also seems like i wnt through about 2 gallons of gas like nothing. i think whatts causing my problem is when it sat it developed crap in the gas tank and clogged my fuel filter. what kind of additive can i put in my tank to get rid of that crap. do u guys think this could be my problem? i really and hope not its not the opti, it has about 3000 miles on it, brand new plugs, wires, etc. what could my problem be?i have the codes p0135 which i am currently changing the o2s and p0336 the crank sensor, which i leared has no effect on drivability but just senses crank vibrations. its been tuned by madwolf and i have no other ideas.

thanks in advance
justin
Could be stale gas, throw some seafoam in the gas tank and fill er up and beat the crap out of it. That is just me though. Check your plug wires also, possible the headers fried them. Check for spark on the coil, etc... Basic ignition diagnostics.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:00 PM

One thing at a time though. Try replacing gas first.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:18 PM

No need to start another thread and be abusive to the TTT rule. It just causes more confusion and makes people want to answer less.

Try things like removing your MSD from the system and checking power to your MAF as well as things other people have already suggested. Observe it with a scanner, if you can.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:39 PM

First i would fill it up with gas.

If that doesnt help, why not take it back the the place that put the motor in? Let them deal with the headache of hunting down the problem.