LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Roller Cam and Moly Graphite Engine Assembly Lube

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:15 AM

Roller Cam and Moly Graphite Engine Assembly Lube

My instructions for the 847 cam say not to use "Moly Graphite Engine Assembly Lube" on roller cam installations. Is this a big deal? I read the instructions after sliding the cam in the motor with the moly graphite lube on it. Do I need to remove the cam and clean all the lube from it and re-install with a non moly graphite lube?

Thanks,

Loren
Old 02-23-2004, 07:31 AM

With a roller cam all you really need is some motor oil.

I do not know what to tell you to do, other than on the Impala boads we discussed it and thought that maybe some of the spun bearings after a cam swap were caused by using cam lube. That thick stuff just does not go though a tight tolerance motor well. Others still swear you need lube not just oil and some use it without issue.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:32 AM

Barging IN

Loren,

Sorry to bogart but I was wondering which springs you're using with the 847. I'm going with the Crane 99893 springs with that cam. Are you using the same. If so what installed height, seat pressure are you going to use?

I checked Cranes Site, (I'm sure you know they make the 847), and their instructions also say not to use assembly lube on the lobes, but no reason why is given. The instructions say to coat the lobes with engine oil. They say use a small amount of lube on the oil pump gear drive and thats it. Sorry I don't know why and I wouldn't think it would be a big deal, but I could be wrong. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:08 AM

If you have not done much assembly after the cam
install you should pull it out and wipe it off. It's really
up to you. I like to follow the mfg recommendations
and will us GM EOS when I do my cam install.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:27 AM

93zm6tally,

I have LPE LT4 heads and will be using the LPE springs that came with the heads. I have no idea what the installed height or specs on the springs are. I called Lingenfelter and all they said is that the springs were a special design made for LPE and they will work fine with the cam. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Yeah, I think I'll remove the cam and clean everything up a bit just to be on the safe side. For cleaning the cam bearings, I am thinking about buying some lint free cloths and taping on a broomstick handle to reach in the motor. Does anyone see any problems with that approach or have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Loren
Old 02-23-2004, 08:36 AM

Hey appreciate it anyway. As far as cleaning the cam bearings I see no problem with that, just make damn sure the cloths don't come off cause that could be a real PITA.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by 96capricemgr
With a roller cam all you really need is some motor oil.

I do not know what to tell you to do, other than on the Impala boads we discussed it and thought that maybe some of the spun bearings after a cam swap were caused by using cam lube. That thick stuff just does not go though a tight tolerance motor well. Others still swear you need lube not just oil and some use it without issue.
Don't believe the issue is whether to use lube or not, but how well, the lube you do use, mixes with the oil after startup.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:01 PM

I always have used oil, 'cause that's the way I was taught. I never really thought about it though. I slather the other stuff all over the mains, don't see why the cam bearings would be much different?

Rich Krause