LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

RHS 235 heads and Super Vic IN THE CAR BABY!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Tentative plans as of now are to tow up to Ed Wright this time next month if all goes well.

But what sucks about that is it will be hot as hell.....but it will still go to the track in Hattiesburg, I will do some shakedown passes here at the local 1/8 mile first.....Ed wants to take it to the track while we are up there....will have to see on that one...depends on time restraints and if all goes well on the dyno.

David
Man, Tulsa is one hell of a trip for tuning. Tuning just plain ain’t that difficult. Just saw a 21st Century (Linginfelter) LS1 tune because the car has issues. Looking at the tune to see what could be off and the timing tables are 100% stock………the car made 470 rwhp. It’s a 402 automatic with AFR heads, if that tells ya how difficult tuning is. The wideband 02 has taken a lot of trial and error out of the equation also. There still is some playing, but at least you can see the cause and effects.

Isn’t there someone in Baton Rouge that pretty good as it sure is a hell of a lot closer. Mixed feeling on Ed Wright. Seen some of his stuff that was great and some that wasn’t.

Jesus, if there is a dyno in Mobile I could probably do it for ya just using Tuner Cat which is what most of them use anyway for OBD1.

FWIW….. I know the track owner in Hattiesburg and been in surgery with him. He’s an ophthalmologist of all things and his son-in-law runs it, or did a few years ago anyway. Also being it’s such a small world, Joe Gravelee is a bud and need to call him this weekend regarding some things and he has a practice in Fair Hope. He and I spent about two hours on the phone this last week regarding some business things.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

No one around here(close) has tuning software for an LT1, we have 3 chassis dyno's in town. Ed put a break in- tune in the car, also will have to overcome the "stall wall"...when you put a big converter in these cars they kinda freak out...plus shift points need to be set.

I just have it in my head when it backs off his dyno it will be all it can be. And I may be wrong, have you seen problems with his mail order tunes....or with his IN HOUSE dyno tunes?

Ed has been alot of help getting this combo together, he told me price to tune it on his chassis dyno, which is pretty standard across the board, he put the break in tune for basically free, I paid him "X" for the break in tune, and he deducted that off what he will charge me when I get up there. Included in that price I was told he would part throttle-street tune the car, and go to the local track with me the same weekend to get the shift points etc right.

So that right there goes along way with me, besides before it is all said and done it wil only be about another $400 more than a Thunder tune....I would have to drop the car off over there and go get it, 2 trips.

Thunder in Baton Rouge told me they can tune it...but it was hit and miss on the stall converter problem. And to me they just don't have the LT1 knowledge like Ed does. He has done and tried alot of stuff.

Unless you have another suggestion closer to me.

I have a buddy with an "open" version of LT1 edit...he may let us use it..I am all ears.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 05-12-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
No one around here(close) has tuning software for an LT1, we have 3 chassis dyno's in town. Ed put a break in- tune in the car, also will have to overcome the "stall wall"...when you put a big converter in these cars they kinda freak out...plus shift points need to be set.

I just have it in my head when it backs off his dyno it will be all it can be. And I may be wrong, have you seen problems with his mail order tunes....or with his IN HOUSE dyno tunes?

Ed has been alot of help getting this combo together, he told me price to tune it on his chassis dyno, which is pretty standard across the board, he put the break in tune for basically free, I paid him "X" for the break in tune, and he deducted that off what he will charge me when I get up there. Included in that price I was told he would part throttle-street tune the car, and go to the local track with me the same weekend to get the shift points etc right.

So that right there goes along way with me, besides before it is all said and done it wil only be about another $400 more than a Thunder tune....I would have to drop the car off over there and go get it, 2 trips.

Thunder in Baton Rouge told me they can tune it...but it was hit and miss on the stall converter problem. And to me they just don't have the LT1 knowledge like Ed does. He has done and tried alot of stuff.

Unless you have another suggestion closer to me.

I have a buddy with an "open" version of LT1 edit...he may let us use it..I am all ears.

David
I'm no good at automatics and stall converters may be tricky as I have no experience in that area. All my cars have been six speeds and never looked at that part of the software hard even. But I may be able to help ya on the software if you will buy a cable. It's OBD1 right? I have softward for both computers and programs to get ya close so no big whoop either way. Like maybe borrow my laptop....or something like that.

Regarding Ed, ya some mail order and some who drove up to his shop. Quite honestly don't know what to make of the deal but if he helped you from day one that it worth a lot in just that and I'd stay with the boy. With your adjustible fuel pressure regulator you will be able to track tune on your own reading plugs and looking at the time slips if you got a handle of the weather.