LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

removing emissions question!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 AM

removing emissions question!!!!

ok so my motor is out of my car...i was wondering if its that hard to remove the egr and air.?.. i have obd1...will it throw any codes??? i don't have cats but do have headers and i live in mi so no emissions...will it affect performance? i want to clean up my engine bay and remove anything that could possibly need to be replaced in the future... also what parts are needed and does it clean up the engine bay alot? what are the function of egr and air?

sorry about all the questions guys...im just really curious!!! thanks for all your help
Old 04-09-2010, 12:27 AM

Th EGR basically lets in a little bit of exhaust back into the engine for the purpose of reducing the formation of certain gasses. I don't know about removing it, though. At least I can tell you what it does.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by FastandBlue
Th EGR basically lets in a little bit of exhaust back into the engine for the purpose of reducing the formation of certain gasses. I don't know about removing it, though. At least I can tell you what it does.
lol thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 AM

Not a problem. :P I have a buddy who took out two EGRs from two different Dodge trucks (mid 1990s) and they did fine. But like I said, I'm not sure about the codes. From what I hear the EGR is only a problem if it lets in too much exhaust back into the engine.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 AM

Not a problem. :P I have a buddy who took out two EGRs from two different Dodge trucks (mid 1990s) and they did fine. But like I said, I'm not sure about the codes. From what I hear the EGR is only a problem if it lets in too much exhaust back into the engine.
what about air system?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:54 AM

Are you referring to...like....the secondary air pump and its components?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:54 AM

Are you referring to...like....the secondary air pump and its components?
sure
Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 AM

I know the air system will definitely throw codes at you if you mess with it. A simple fuse or a bad pump will actually cause the SES light to come on. Very annoying, but also an easy fix. Why do you want to remove the air system?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:13 AM

If the EGR works fine, just leave it alone. All it does is put a little exhaust gas back into the engine under certain light load conditions (like highway cruising) to dilute the intake mixture and cool the combustion process. Because of that, the engine puts in less fuel and runs more ignition timing, which improves fuel economy. You'll gain nothing performance-wise by removing it if its working properly right now, but you'll lose some fuel mileage.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 AM

Yes, that's exactly what I meant to explain originally! Just didn't get all the way there.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:27 AM
Administrator

AIR delete does not "throw" codes in the OBD-I cars, if you do it correctly. All you need to do is insure you have a good fuse and relay in the AIR pump electrical circuit.

AIR is provided for the sole pupose of helping the cat(s) heat up faster on cold start. After that it does nothing. And it does not hurt performance in any way. If you delete the cat(s), the AIR system has no purpose at all.

EGR uses recycled exhaust gas to prevent the formation of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) at high combustion chamber temps. Deleting it will increase the difficulty of passing tailpipe emissions, if you have that where you live. A side benefit it that it reduces the chances of detontation when lugging the engine at low RPM. There is no performance issue with keeping EGR, since it doesn't operate at WOT, or above 3,500 RPM.

In the OBD-I cars, the "EGR flow" code diagnostic routine is not very sensitive, and I'd say on 90% of the cars, you won't get a code. If you do, you need to have it programmed out in the PCM. There is a "spoof" that involves adding a resistor to the MAP circuit, switched into the circuit by the EGR vacuum solenoid circuit, but programming is easier. You will also have to push a 2,000ohm resistor into the harness connector for the EGR vacuum solenoid to prevent the code for an incomplete circuit.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 AM

Injuneer, what about OBDII? I had a couple problems with mine a while back and it was giving me problems even though the relay and fuse was good (a hose had melted shut). Maybe it was a secondary problem?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
AIR delete does not "throw" codes in the OBD-I cars, if you do it correctly. All you need to do is insure you have a good fuse and relay in the AIR pump electrical circuit.

AIR is provided for the sole pupose of helping the cat(s) heat up faster on cold start. After that it does nothing. And it does not hurt performance in any way. If you delete the cat(s), the AIR system has no purpose at all.

EGR uses recycled exhaust gas to prevent the formation of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) at high combustion chamber temps. Deleting it will increase the difficulty of passing tailpipe emissions, if you have that where you live. A side benefit it that it reduces the chances of detontation when lugging the engine at low RPM. There is no performance issue with keeping EGR, since it doesn't operate at WOT, or above 3,500 RPM.

In the OBD-I cars, the "EGR flow" code diagnostic routine is not very sensitive, and I'd say on 90% of the cars, you won't get a code. If you do, you need to have it programmed out in the PCM. There is a "spoof" that involves adding a resistor to the MAP circuit, switched into the circuit by the EGR vacuum solenoid circuit, but programming is easier. You will also have to push a 2,000ohm resistor into the harness connector for the EGR vacuum solenoid to prevent the code for an incomplete circuit.

ok so i have no emissions to pass since i live in mi... will removing egr hurt my engine in any way? i dont drag race but i hate those ugly things on my engine... it also makes the engine bay harder to work in... any how toos?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM

come on guys...will removing my egr hurt my engine in any way??? will it cause detonation?? also any how tos would be awesome please guys.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:22 PM

TTT... Nice.. Here, check out these links. Not sure about the code throwing and detonation on a 94 Z, though. Injuneer, what do you think?

http://tpiparts.net/emissions
http://www.rx7.org/Robinette/egr.htm

Quick Reply: removing emissions question!!!!