LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

relocated Battery keeps dying!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 10:18 AM

Angry relocated Battery keeps dying!

Well I hope somebody can help me out here. As I said my relocated battery keeps dying. Keep in mind this is in my 98 S-10 with a 95 LT1 in it. I have had the alternator rebuilt and it was found to have faulty diodes in it. After the rebuild all was well... the truck never ran better and the bettery stayed charged! But not long after that the problem returned! I'm sure it has to be the diodes again but the question is why? Does anybody have experience with these charging systems and if so please help! If anybody knows what may be wrong I can explain in greater detail on how my charging system is hooked up.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:36 AM

Bad grounds will kill off an alternator. What guage cables did you use for the relocation?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:48 AM

unless you wired something funky, it shouldnt be the batt. causing the alt. to go out. make sure you have at least 2ga. ground cable to the FRAME, not the sheetmetal that is isolated from the frame w/the body mounts. and, the alt. stud should be directly to the starter/batt. cable. is this how your setup is? what size batt. do you have? before assuming the batt. isnt the problem, get it tested. if it were me, and I didnt have that stuff at work, Id take the batt. and alt. to the auto store and have them both tested. another note here is make sure all the conn.s are tight and not corroded. how did you attach the cable ends to the cable? I would put the ends in a vise w/the open end facing up. heat the end w/a torch, then meltsolder into the cable end. while still heating the end and the solder is halfway filling the end, shove the cable end in. take away the heat and let it cool. thats the best way to attach the ends. if you just crush it on the cable, you may not have a very good connection.
good luck though
Old 05-23-2004, 12:23 PM

All cables are 0/1 gauge. And I only crushed on the connections..I don't own a torch, but I can get it done. what I think may be the problem is the wire that goes from the back of the alt. to the positive post of the battery isn't hooked up right. when I moved the battery to the rear i didn't hook the alt directly onto the positive post, instead I just hooked it up to positive cable at the front of my truck. I need to run a new cable to the rear of my truck and hook it directly to the battery. and now I need to get my alt. checked again as I think the diodes are toast ..again!

thanks for the replies..
Old 05-23-2004, 04:21 PM

well, just run the 10 ga. wire off the alt. stud to the starter. you dont need to run all the way back to the batt..
Old 05-23-2004, 04:49 PM

I'll trust your judgement here as I know nothing about how exactly the charging system works. I'll give it a try.

thanks.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:02 PM

What is the output voltage with no load on it?
How are you wiring up the exciter wire?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:38 PM

As I said in my last post I know nothing about the charging system... I am electrically challenged! So what is the exciter wire? and how do I test output voltage with no load?...I'm sure it's simple, and I'm going to feel stupid on this one!