LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rebuilt engine, started it tonight, blew oil everywhere, oil filter adapter to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 01:02 AM

Rebuilt engine, started it tonight, blew oil everywhere, oil filter adapter to blame?

When I rebuilt the engine I removed the stock oil cooler mainly because it's nearly impossible to run the coolant lines to it with the Vortech right there in the way. When I removed it, I just bolted the oil filter adapter back up to the block with new bolts (minus the extended head used to position the oil cooler). I also put a gasket in there that came with my oil pan gasket set. It can be seen here:

http://home.mchsi.com/~shortb2002/Picture002.jpg

The gasket is sitting off to the right. To the left is the oil filter with the adapter in it.

Heres a better view of all three pieces (adapter, filter, gasket):

http://home.mchsi.com/~shortb2002/Picture003.jpg

Am I wrong in using this gasket? Is it blocking the flow of oil? From the looks of it, it seems that oil blasted out the sides of the oil filter's seal. I have no way of knowing for sure though, because oil is all over the tranny, the side of the block, and even on top of the bellhousing. The filter WAS tightened down as tight as I could get it by hand, and I lubed the seal with clean oil beforehand, as well as filling the filter before installing it. The only other culprit I can think of is the oil sending assembly that sits on top of the block behind the intake.....but it seems to be tight and I sealed it with teflon paste.

Please help!! I'm very wary of trying to start it again and not getting oil pressure on this brand new engine!! It only ran for 5-7 seconds before I saw it had no oil pressure and shut it down. Looked under it and oil was gushing out of the filter area.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:37 AM

I can see that it is going to leak out the base of the filter.Do yyou need to use that adapter?Cant you just put a filter on with a bigger hole?Never had an oil cooler so thats about all I can tell you.Try doing a search on the subject.And TTT for you.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:24 AM

The "adapter" is the only thing that can hold the filter on, so far as I can tell. There's no other threaded piece coming out of the block for the filter to mount on to.

It looked like the filter sealed to the block, but maybe that little gasket moved the filter away from the block just enough to keep it from sealing all the way? Don't know.

I still have the main portion of the oil cooler. I took the coolant lines off of it, would it be OK to just bolt it back on and run oil through it without running coolant through it? I suppose I could put it back on at least temporarily until I figure out what else can be done.