LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rebuilding w/stock size bearings/bore good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:17 PM

Question Rebuilding w/stock size bearings/bore good idea?

Here's the deal. I supercharged my high mileage bolt-on Lt1, and broke the ringlands on the stock Hyper-crapptic pistons after 3weeks of hard driving. My plan is I just bought another stock Lt1 I can swap into the car just to make it driveable again while I rebuild my original motor into a fully forged 383 on the side (prolly over a period of a year). The thing is, I would like to use my supercharger and current bolt-ons one the new motor while I do the build up of the old. I don't want to repeat myself on the mistake of stock pistons = broken motor in 3weeks.

I was thinking installing Forged pistons (std bore), and all new rod/main bearings (std dia.), along with a rebuild kit of all new gaskets, etc, etc. like the ones offered on Summit...to ensure this new motor will last about a year while I do a full build-up on the old. My question is, is it a good idea, or is it doable, to put std size bearings and pistons back into a motor that has 120,000 miles on it? Or is it worth it to have the block over-bored, and maybe even the stock rods oversized?

Thanks,
Old 06-11-2006, 07:18 PM

Re: Rebuilding w/stock size bearings/bore good idea?

meh...new plan is to get new motor...tear it down and measure everything...see what's in spec in regards to clearances and what's not...then order parts...
Old 06-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Banned

A piston swap opens up a big can of worms.
Ya will have to get it rebalanced unless ya can get forged pistons the same weight as the hyper-u-craptic factory pistons.
Std bearings are doable if the crank checks out to size.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle33
meh...new plan is to get new motor...tear it down and measure everything...see what's in spec in regards to clearances and what's not...then order parts...
Buy a new motor to measure specs? Those are available elsewhere with much less work/cost involved...
Old 06-11-2006, 11:20 PM

Just run the stock bottom end while you build your other motor. Or else your just wasting your money(which will turn out to be a ton more than you think it will cost). If you dont want to blow it up just take the blower off(i know hard to do after having it) or find a dif pulley to lower the boost.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by evilundisguised
Buy a new motor to measure specs? Those are available elsewhere with much less work/cost involved...
By "new motor" i was referring to the engine I just purchased with 120,000 miles on the clock. I said new just to designate it from the "old" original motor that is still in the car (with broken ringlands). Yeah I keep thinking the best move would be to not run the blower, but after having it...that's easier said than done...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 AM

If the bores are not out of round, tappered or scratched then it can be re-ringed using the stock pistons and having the new rings gapped properly for boost. Lowering the boost to reasanable level is also good.