LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Random Stalling Issue solved!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 AM

Random Stalling Issue solved!

hey everyone. well I see a lot of questions on here and sometimes not everyone comes back with what worked for their particular situation or problem. I finally fixed my car and its running great so here are the symptoms and what I did to fix the problem.

Symptoms: Car would start right up, run fine for a random period of time (sometimes 15 min, sometimes 50 depending on driving) and it would have a very hard "miss" followed by the car shutting down maybe 20 seconds later. The miss felt like the entire car lost power for a split second rather than a typical cylinder miss. After it would stall, I would try to refire but it would just crank with no starting. If I waited a few minutes, it would refire and sometimes run fine or rough. No codes would be thrown either so I was stumped for a while.

Solution: Checked the usual suspects for ignition issues (Opti, ICM, Coil, etc) since I knew it was getting fuel. I replaced both the ICM & coil since these were the cheaper of the 3 major parts and I also did the ICM cooling mod while I was there. I tested the old coils resistance and found it to be identical to the new one so the ICM ended up being the culprit. I've driven the vehicle 400+ miles since and hasn't missed a beat. Took it to the dyno to spray the car and no issues as well.

This may not solve anyone's issues at the moment but hopefully if they search and fine the same issues, this will help someone out.

Thanks everyone who helped me track these issues down and get my car back on the road to enjoy it!

-Brian