LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Questions about true duals, h/x-pipes, and what else im going to need.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 05:05 PM

Questions about true duals, h/x-pipes, and what else im going to need.

Im going to be running pacesetter long tubes, 18 inch chambered tube mufflers, and turndowns, all in three inch pipe. I was wanting to keep it as cheap as possible, so would you run an h-pipe, x-pipe, or neither? I was looking at h pipes because they are cheaper, but the pipe that connects them is only a foot long, will that be long enough? Also, what do I need to connect my headers to my exhaust pipe? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get everything ordered and right the first time. Thanks guys!
Old 06-05-2005, 05:41 PM

Re: Questions about true duals, h/x-pipes, and what else im going to need.

Both an X or an H will help acoustically. Either will sound much better than if you do duals with no "communication" between the legs. The X-pipe will probably be better than the H-pipe for horsepower. If you go with an X-pipe, a larger plenum volume is better than a small one, both acoustically and power-wise.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:10 PM

X-pipes flow better because when each exhaust stream passes the other's path, they speed each other up. This pulls motor from the headers and creates higher velocity through the entire system will which increase your high-end horsepower.

I got my x-pipe with dynomax bullet race mufflers and turndowns for $110 just to give you an idea of how much it costs. You will simply need to get some flanges to match the flanges on your pacesetter collectors. You will then weld the x-pipe tubing to the flanges, then bolt the x-pipe to the longtubes (of course, putting gaskets between the longtubes and x-pipe first). You will then weld some 3" pipe onto each end of the x-pipe, weld the mufflers to that piping, then weld on the turndowns. Wallah.

I would personally look around and see what you can find for sale rather than building your own. It will cost you way more time and money to do it yourself. The cheapest I've seen an x-pipe go for is $70. The cheapest I've seen mufflers go is $35. Then you have to consider paying someone to hang it up or hanging it up yourself.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:22 PM

Yes the X pipe will flow a bit better than an H pipe, but an H pipe will also quiet down your setup a bit and give a deeper tone than an X pipe. Will you see a noticible difference in horsepower between the two? no. You may see the slightest bit more on a dyno, but I figure I can make up that small HP difference somewhere else and get a better tone IMO.

Last edited by TruDualed95Z; 06-05-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:36 PM

I recently watched a dyno test where the vehicle showed 10+ hp better with the X-pipe than with an H-pipe. YMMV, but I watched it happen.