LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Confused about what mechanic told me.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:03 AM

Confused about what mechanic told me.

My post prior to this was about how my brother's 94 Z was having problems running directly after plugs/wires install. I tried regapping all the plugs, triple checked plug connections, etc. Well that didn't fix it.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371143

My brother ended up bringing the car to a mechanic for him to diagnose the problem. According to him, the fuel pressure regulator was 'burnt out' because my brother was running a low pressure fuel filter while he needed to be running a high pressure one. I don't understand how that makes sense because he bought the right model for his car? Anyway, how could a regulator burn out right after the plugs/wires? Like I mentioned in my last post; the car never acted this way so I am confused on that part as well.

The plugs/wires my brother used (and what I bought and am waiting to install) are Autolite from Autozone. The mechanic said this was a bad choice because those don't work well on GM cars and recommended AC Delcos. Anyone have input on Autolite plugs/wires?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:52 AM

Re: Confused about what mechanic told me.

My Autolites are better than the AC Declo's I had. AC's platinum pucks fall off easily, mine were about 1/2 gone with 10k on them. Autolite has a 5 year warranty, cost way less, have bigger platinum pieces, and King of the Hill on the box, KING OF THE HILL!

Seriously though I cant speak for the filter, cause I just went and got one for my model too, but plugs, Autolites work awesome compared to my AC's, I have about 25k on them and they look new each time I take them out. I used MSD wires and still had no problems. Good luck.

-Dustin-
Old 06-05-2005, 11:54 AM

I used to be NGK all the way, but I switched to Autolites and will never go back. I used AC Delco for quite some time too, but Not worth the extra money I had to pay the dealer.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:28 PM

Low pressure/high pressure fuel filter?

New one on me.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:47 PM

'Burn out' a pressure regulator? Fuel pump sure, it's got an electric motor to burn out. A regulator doesn't. It's mechanical and can go bad, puke, die but not burn out. Along with what Pandamonkey said, I would seriously question this mechanic's abilities and competence.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Banned

Think maybe ya need to find another mechanic that knows what he's talking about.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:54 PM

Haha. Yea I questioned the fuel filter thing too.

The thing is, the mechanic 'by passed' the regulator on my brother's car and is running better than it was. I am still confused on how I should go about tackling this problem.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by SantaCruz163
Haha. Yea I questioned the fuel filter thing too.

The thing is, the mechanic 'by passed' the regulator on my brother's car and is running better than it was. I am still confused on how I should go about tackling this problem.
That is not good. It's a bandaid fix and a poor one at that. I would shoot a mechanic for doing something stupid like that to my car. It could be a bad regulator, dying fuel pump or even dirty injectors. It's more likely to be something to do with ingnition system since it started after the plug/wire install. The way the wires are routed could be causing a cross-fire condition where one wire induces a spark in an adjoining wire. The new plug wires could be of higher resistance and causing a weak coil not to fire all the cylinders (that could explain the high rpm miss he had previously). Get a good regulator on the car and go from there.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:45 PM

Ok lets not mince words..this mechanic is capital A idiot!! They are everywhere and lots can't tie their shoes.

The fuel filter is a simple thing and as long as you get one for your model it should be fine and even if it clogged all up it wouldn't take out a mechanical reg.I am not sure if regs can die and what effect it has. They mostly only drop pressure at idle I thought and give full when their is no vacuum like at wot.I also am not sure its great to have the higher pressure at idle sure gm put it in there for a reason. I would think it keeps things from getting too rich at idle. Not even sure how he could have bypassed it as its right in the rail.

I would check your system properly. Test fuel pressure idle and wot.If pressure is good its likely dirty injectors or ignition. If pressure is bad its likely fuel pump. And put in a proper regulator although highly doubt yours is bad.